ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Holy Cow how much are spark plugs!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
After my running problems with my car I Just popped into Renault Watford to price up a set of NGK's for my 172, i had seen them on Ebay for about £7.50 each but was warned off them by my old Man (Senior BMW Tech for a franchise) who said that they had seen alot of cars with running issues due to counterfit plugs.

Thought probably about £10 - £12 each from Renault, Nearly fell over when they quoted £18.75 + VAT Each (£22.03 each) so £88.12 for a set :S

So rather than buying them i have booked in for diagnosis £50.34 for Clip faults to be cleared, Test drive and Re-Check faults so at least I should know what needs doing rather than blanket Bombing the issue repalcing parts that are not needed!

I Guess on the upside its cheaper than BMW's labour time of £195 Per Hour plus VAT !:lolup:

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
think you can get four NKG ones for about £25. forget which is ok for the rs though, but you can get them

clio 172 cup
I have just purchased them ngk's off ebay, but not fitted yet. I hope what your dad said is not the case, can't be doing with having to buy another set. I think a few people on here have got them plugs off ebay and as far as I'm aware I've not heard of anyone having problems with them. Well fingers crossed anyway.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I have just purchased them ngk's off ebay, but not fitted yet. I hope what your dad said is not the case, can't be doing with having to buy another set. I think a few people on here have got them plugs off ebay and as far as I'm aware I've not heard of anyone having problems with them. Well fingers crossed anyway.

Im sure they are not all knock offs (Maybe none are) But I would rather be safe than sorry if you get what I mean ;)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
TBH i have read so much about "other spark plugs" causing the car to run poorly I think ill stick with the NGK PFR6E-10.

Hopefully after diagnosis ill know if they need repalcing... May turn out to be something else.

K-tec though innit? Not gonna be dodgy or anythin..

Im Not saying anything K-Tec sell is Dodgy (In fact I rate the service the provide) But over on renaultsport and alot on here have all said only use the NGK PFR6E-10. It also states in the Handbook specifically not to use any plugs other than standard.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
K-tec though innit? Not gonna be dodgy or anythin..

Im Not saying anything K-Tec sell is Dodgy (In fact I rate the service the provide) But over on renaultsport and alot on here have all said only use the NGK PFR6E-10. It also states in the Handbook specifically not to use any plugs other than standard.

Oh right, hehe..

B

Bucko

My cars done 74k, i bet they've never been replaced. I had no idea until reading this that the plugs were so expensive and such long life.

I think i best give it a service, including plugs, pretty soon as it was due this month.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
To be honest I doubt a clip will tell you what exactly is at fault, it will diagnose a misfire but that could be caused by the coil pack, leads or plugs

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i went to halfords and bought a set of bosch super 4's listed for the 172 for the gfs 172 thats was mis-firing lob them in and its running sweet now mate and they only cost 20 pound

Mk2 1.2 Campus
i went to halfords and bought a set of bosch super 4's listed for the 172 for the gfs 172 thats was mis-firing lob them in and its running sweet now mate and they only cost 20 pound

I tried these before and one of them lasted 150 miles before it gave up, think I may have had a dodgy one but it put me off so I went for NGK

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My cars done 74k, i bet they've never been replaced. I had no idea until reading this that the plugs were so expensive and such long life.

I think i best give it a service, including plugs, pretty soon as it was due this month.

If its your 72k/5 year service thats due then you have more to worry about than your plugs.
Got mine due in a few months:(

B

Bucko

If its your 72k/5 year service thats due then you have more to worry about than your plugs.
Got mine due in a few months:(

Bad luck mate, it's my 6 year service. The belts were done last year at 70k by the previous owner.

All i know is i will be using NGK, i was tempted by the Bosch super 4's but i'd be a fool to buy them after everything i've read on the forum about skimping on plugs.

172 FF

I had some of them on an xr3i ages ago & one of them fell to bits after a couple of months. The whole inside of the sparkplug just came loose :/
Maybe they are better now, but I would personally stick to NGK, which I have used in all my cars ever since.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
To be honest I doubt a clip will tell you what exactly is at fault, it will diagnose a misfire but that could be caused by the coil pack, leads or plugs

i realise it will only suggest an "Area" that could be causing the issue, But with a missfire as you rightly say it could be anything, But with an injector having shut down what im looking to find out is... Is it just a simple Plug/Lead fault (I Know its not the coil) or a fueling issue or something else.

Mk2 1.2 Campus

i realise it will only suggest an "Area" that could be causing the issue, But with a missfire as you rightly say it could be anything, But with an injector having shut down what im looking to find out is... Is it just a simple Plug/Lead fault (I Know its not the coil) or a fueling issue or something else.

I'd personally try a mates coil pack and/or leads first, then plugs and I'd be confident it'd sort the problem. If it's still there then look at injectors

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i also had a mis-fire and it was caused by the ht leads touching my plenum making it ark out so check that to