ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hitting the rev range early? Help?

clio 182
Sometimes when driving I can rev right through to 7,000+ but other times it only let's me rev to about 6/6500 and it's not just when the engine is cold. Other than this it runs perfectly, just hits the limiter early?

Can anyone explain why this happens?

Thanks in advanced

Inferno 182 & Saxo
even though the water temp gauge is at half way, sometimes its still not warm enough to allow the upper limits of the rev range

clio 182
Alright thanks guys

it probs is just the temp then, how long would u say it takes to heat up roughly? Suppose it depends.
I must just be impatient :(

monaco 172
I usually give mine untill the themp gauge gets to half way and then another 5 minutes or so just to make sure the oil is upto temp aswel.

If yours is still hitting the early limiter after that then id reccomend getting a new thermostat and maybe a new coolant temp sensor.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
almost definitely needs a new thermostat (like most of them do) if it's not getting up to temperature and/or staying there

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
"Middle of the gauge" means nothing sadly, its a massive range of temperatures that it sits in the middle for, from well below the cutover point, so it looks like its upto temp enough when it isnt.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
probably said 10 minutes??

mind you, if it was the stat not working then it would have taken longer to get hot, so I was probably telling you to get it really hot and see if it fixed it = stat needed changing

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
if it had a problem and it was down to not getting hot, I would have told you to go for a long drive to get it hot. With a working stat it wouldn't take long at all

Renault Clio 182
Was actually asking Danny as I was curious as to why he had advised 2 things but im sure if you read the above it is explained so it has answered the op's question and my own

So yes it did matter

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Mine runs the cold map for about 10mins at 60mph (so 10 miles). It obviously quicker if its hot outside, but most of the time in the UK its not :p

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Really? Id say it works fine. Maybe its more like 10mins, 40% of which at 30mph and 60% of which at 60mph; I have to be half way to barnstaple starting from the centre of south molton before the hot map kicks in. All I know is that when the temp gets to half way, it still needs another few mins before the warm map kicks in. Once its warm it stays in the warm map just fine.

Clio 172
Isn't his limiting early still tho? (I'm just a bit excited as mine sometimes limits/splutters at 5,5k-6k and never seen someone with a similar issue), but ALLWAYS stops doing it when the temp gauge is bang on middle.

quick question, sometimes it will never get to the middle on a 30odd miles journey, just sit below it, just over half way between quarter and half. New thermostat?

Clio 172
It's not "exactly" a limiter, it just completely loses power, and bounces around at them revs, normally bounces between 5-6k, not a specific rev. It's like a limiter, with the way it completely cuts the power, and won't rev higherhigher

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Oil temp is not.depndant on time. Its how the engine is used. Obv if people tickle its arse for 15mins, its not gonna be as warm as someone that works the engine up the rev range properly