ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

high MPG

rite, at the moment the little on board display is saying that i am runnin on average 28. summin ova the last 100 miles or so , i havnt been botting it at all and it is allways really low neva n higher than about 30 mpg, my car is only a 1.6 wiv a drilled air box and 17"s . i have read 172s run much higher mpg more like 30+ , wot am i doing wrong and wot can i do about it

cheers

I reset my trip computer and went from Edinburgh to Dunfermline (about 16 miles) and go about 39 mpg in my Cup. That was with about 10 miles of motorway driving and the rest in town 30 mph.

Try returning the car to standard the ECU maybe running rich. drive in as high a gear as possible and use the accelerater and brakes very gently and never more than 1/2 way and your economy will go up.

EDD

Ps the trip cmputer is quite accurate mine was 2% underreading after 18k (I keep all the receipts)

EDD

17 with a 1.6.......you lucky git

I had to make do with a 1.3 MG Metro :oops: at 17. Back then they were quality cars though...honest

how do u work out mpg?

when i fill up from like 1/4 tank... it takes 40 litres... i think the tank can hold 50 from emtpy.

i average 220miles a tank (down to 1/4)

Divide 40 by 4.5 to convert litres into gallons (Approx)

40/4.5 = 8.8

Divide the milage by the gallons.

220/8.8 = 25MPG (This is an approximate guide)

lol all these figures

i done 12k in 8 months, mainly motorway and b-road miles and was averaging 33.1mpg in a 1.2 16v :(

oh how i would have died if i seen the trip computer read anywhere near 40mpg

Bumder With A Buffer

U lot should count urself lucky u dont have a valver!!! on 30 quids worth of fuel, about 35 ish litres i can get 220/250 miles outa that. i once work out that i averaged 18 miles 2 gallon!!! but that was when i used to thrash around everyware!!

"Navy" N17 TWO

with a 1997 clio (1.4) im getting around 43mpg on long runs.

about 35 mpg when scooting about town.

Thinking of changing to 2004 1.5dci - put a set of 16" alloys on it and an air intake, spoiler and tints. - Any tips?

I just filled up my 172 and it cost me £32 of optimax. I checked how many miles id done since last filling up and it was only 175 :oops:

Think i better learn to not be so heavy footed ;)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

Quote: Originally posted by johnnyho on 19 September 2003

main reason i got the 1.6 clio is cos it was the quickest thing i could reasonably get insured on! so wanted a cup!
same as me m8y! but i wanted a normal 172 not a cup. I boot it round a lot....im getting 30.8 and it hasnt budged in aaaaaages. I have the ktec ramcharger induction kit and thats it and it had dropped from 36 to the above after i got it. I love the noise too much to go back to standard though. Using optimax

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I average about 28-30mpg, but do a lot of short journeys..

Highest sustanable MPG ive had (cruising at about 55mph on a flat road after a reset and waiting for it to settle down after the initial jump) was about 55MPG which is just crazy for a 2.0l engine.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Normal driving for me sees the trip showing 35mpg or thereabouts (and its always optimistic by 2-3mpg).

As an excercise in self restraint recently I brimmed the tank, and drove it like a granny (VERY slow acceleration, and reading the road to avoid using the brakes) to see what I could get out of it. Over a week I managed 420 miles and used 46 litres of optimax to do it. The trip said 44 mpg but in reality it was 41.5 mpg.

My old Pug 306 1.9TD never used to manage as much as that!

Quote: Originally posted by trevq on 08 January 2004

with a 1997 clio (1.4) im getting around 43mpg on long runs.

about 35 mpg when scooting about town.

Thinking of changing to 2004 1.5dci - put a set of 16" alloys on it and an air intake, spoiler and tints. - Any tips?

I wouldnt get a new car if your just getting it for the fuel economy I drive mine quite hard and get ~50mpg out of it. The saving for you if you do 20k/yr getting a Dci doing about 60mpg is less than £500.

Getting an intake for a Dci is difficult, same with an exhaust there is only one out on the market and evn that maynot be produced in vast quantities.

The your car being a i.4 will have~90hp Im guessing and will be about 10% lighter than the new Clios Im guessing so to keep the power/weight you have your looking at a 100dci. The 65 and 80hp may be a little to slow but the amount of torque might win you over .

EDD

"Navy" N17 TWO

edde, i hear you barking.

the air vent on the boonet is just for style, i have a non-functional one on the 1.4 - looks the dogs balls :) - myt go for the actual vent for the dci - make it blend in with the bonnet - looks even better!

im thinking if i leave it to sell my "1997 1.4" any longer - ill not get very much for it. - i couldnt do that with my first car (pride n joy) :)

planning on going for the new diesel clio - keepin it for a lot longer :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by johnnyho on 19 September 2003

sorry, cant afford the insurance! im only 17. still tho, a 1.6 clios not bad for a first car!
that on free insurance or is it under your parents name? Theyll get you next year for a hefty quote.

I have a lowley 1995 1.2, but it does the job, and aint too slow, atm the plan is to keep it for the next few years through uni, and then when i go into a 30k a year job get a cup or sommet.