ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Milage matters?

work for BMW
I'm looking for a new clio and found one I like but I keep getting put off by the high miles.
its a 2007 clio 1.2 with 106k miles which means its a lot cheaper then the other mk3 and In my budget!

How ever it has FSH, well maintained by the same owner with the cambelt done at 72k.

A well maintained engine should last along time, so is 106k not so bad ?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
IMO, aslong as the services have been done at the right time and parts have been changed when they have needed to be done then mileage isnt a big issue.

107 Track Car & C4
Personally I wouldn't touch high mileage cars, but others will probably say otherwise. It probably wouldn't be too bad on a bigger engined petrol car or diesel, but I'd walk away seeing it is only a 1.2. I suppose if it is well looked after and been well maintained then it may not be too bad, but not for me.

Wouldn't bother me, just bear in mind that come resale time you will properly narrow your market to Joe Public.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Mine's done 175k (second engine though as first one had lost @5% power by 165k). You should expect to parts to wear so factor that in your budget, for example I'm now on my second set for suspension and about fourth set of brake discs.

work for BMW
It's been serviced every year since new and very well maintained.
As the Milage is quite high iv agreed a great price of £2500 for a 2007 Clio 1.2 tce SX. So for that price I could live with high milage

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My concern would be that it was a driving school car.... The worst cars to buy ever.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are you buying it from the previous owner? Or is it a dealer?

RB 182 FF
Sounds ok to me, as already mentioned you'll find a higher mileage car harder to shift on afterwards but then your only paying 2.5k for an 07 plate anyway... and in ur favour will be your'e the second owner come sale time so I'd say go for it! :approve:

Clio sport 182
missus 172 on 150k well maintained and regular servicing etc
my 182 on 112k ex motobility car well maintained and serviced
as stated it is a 1.2 so prob just be aware prob more thrashed but does sound well maintained and looked after

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Is it a nasty blue colour we used to get one come in with high miles. i would be worried about the turbo etc

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
£2500 for a 1.2 with 106k miles on the clock, wtf? That's almost decent 182 money.

In what way is that statement relevent? My missus just bought a £12.6k 1.2 Seat Ibiza, should I have been telling her that is almost decent Evo 9 money?

My missus just bought a £12.6k 1.2 Seat Ibiza, should I have been telling her that is almost decent Evo 9 money?

In my opinion YES! Or maybe something not so extreme. But at least an Ibiza Curpa.

Again, unless she is still young and struggles with insurance.

Just my opinion of course anyway.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
hi miles doesn't really put me off, i wouldn't mind a low mileage motor but tbh i never have had one, all my cars have been near to 100k and I've broken that barrier with them or they have been way over it!

only exception was a 1.25 zetec fezza i had, S plate, 67k and the single worst car i ever had the displeasure of driving! in contrast, my 150k+ Williams 1 on original engine and box was a beauty, bit rattly, but god did it fly :)

2001 CLIO 1.9 DIESEL
I personally prefer a car with a few more miles on it, had cars in the past with low miles that have just been stood on a drive or have spent lots of time off road with faults etc.

Most of the cars i have owned have had over 100k and touch wood have been excellent, except 1 which had very low miles and little service history and proved quite troublesome.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
23, so insurance for it is only £500

Iv had a 182 in the past but want a 1.2 to go back to uni with

whats the reasoning behind a 1.2 then? if your after a cheap runabout to get you back and forth to uni on a budget etc, why not just buy an old 106 diesel or something for few hundred, keep the rest of the cash in the bank ready for when you want something nicer and faster in the future? just my tuppence!

work for BMW
whats the reasoning behind a 1.2 then? if your after a cheap runabout to get you back and forth to uni on a budget etc, why not just buy an old 106 diesel or something for few hundred, keep the rest of the cash in the bank ready for when you want something nicer and faster in the future? just my tuppence!

I have definitely thought about exactly this. But my last few cars have cheap and I was constantly scared something would break etc, now I just want to buy a bit more expensive modernish car I can hopefully rely on as well as it being a clio which is what I want.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH in your position I think I would just buy a good 172 to be honest, they are good on fuel, and generally pretty reliable.

But the mk3 is certainly a more modern feeling car if thats what you are after.

Evo 5 RS
A 1.2 with 106k is quite high. You work on the basis it's going to have worked a lot harder it's whole life. Most of the oil will end up out the exhaust but I'm sure you'll be fine. lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A 1.2 with 106k is quite high. You work on the basis it's going to have worked a lot harder it's whole life. Most of the oil will end up out the exhaust but I'm sure you'll be fine. lol

If its been sat on a motorway, why would it have been working hard?

80mph for a 1.2 mk3 clio is pretty effortless its not like you have having to rev the nuts off it in 4th gear to do that or anything, it will just cruise along quite happily.

Sure the cylinder pressures will be slightly higher than in a 2.0, but not enough to worry the rings generally speaking.

Evo 5 RS
80mph in a 1.2 is effortless. Riiiight. I was only joking about the oil, but come now...

I know it's a mk3 so it's not as if it's an old burner, but that's still going to be revving it's nuts off for a fair amount of time. Besides it can't be hard to pick one up in the sub 80k bracket anyway

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
In my opinion YES! Or maybe something not so extreme. But at least an Ibiza Curpa.

Again, unless she is still young and struggles with insurance.

Just my opinion of course anyway.

Nope, not young - She's 29, insurance is only £200 on her new car. However she has no interest in going quickly at all, she wanted a nice looking, easy to drive car which is fair enough as far as I am concerned. I have a warm hatch to have a laugh in, she has the 5 door hatchback.

It makes me laugh that on car forums everyone asumes that the only cars people should have are ones capable of 0 - 60 in sub 7 seconds. Do people not realise that some pople just want cheap, reliable motoring?

320d
I wouldn't be concerned about mileage if the car is in good condition. Its just the 100K and bin it culture we have in this country. In the USA for example 100k is nothing.

I'd buy it, although if you can get an average mileage one for £500 more I'd be looking to pay a little less for the high miler. Purely because it will be harder to sell on in the future.

work for BMW
TBH in your position I think I would just buy a good 172 to be honest, they are good on fuel, and generally pretty reliable.

But the mk3 is certainly a more modern feeling car if thats what you are after.

I did think about a 172 but insurance would be double plus tax is double plus generally parts are more expensive then a 1.2.
I'm set on this mk3 but the only thing holding me back is the resale aspect, as it is high miles will anyone want to buy it? Sure it will be a lot cheaper then all the others for sale such as the price im paying for it

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Just buy it! You won't lose out at resale as you are buying it cheaper in the first place. It's swings and roundabouts mate.

Pitch it properly and price it right and it will sell no problem, i've never had an issue selling high mileage cars, as long as it's maintained well and priced accordingly someone will buy it!

It makes me laugh that on car forums everyone asumes that the only cars people should have are ones capable of 0 - 60 in sub 7 seconds. Do people not realise that some pople just want cheap, reliable motoring?

What do you expect lol!!?? Most people who use car forums are car enthusiasts!!

It's her car and she can get what she likes ultimately.

Just in my opinion for that money there is SOOOOO much better out there. As I'm sure you would agree

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I did think about a 172 but insurance would be double plus tax is double plus generally parts are more expensive then a 1.2.
I'm set on this mk3 but the only thing holding me back is the resale aspect, as it is high miles will anyone want to buy it? Sure it will be a lot cheaper then all the others for sale such as the price im paying for it

If you keep it tidy, I very much doubt you will lose much on that car at that money to start with.

Should be 3 years of cheap motoring overall I would think.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Just in my opinion for that money there is SOOOOO much better out there. As I'm sure you would agree

Actually I don't. She wanted brand new, cheap to run, cheap to insure, 5 door, auto, not slower than wind errosion, £12.5k budget. The Ibiza was the best we could find.

Anyway, back to the original poster, just buy it and stop worrying!

work for BMW
Some great advice ! I'll take the 3 hour train tomorrow and see what happens ;) like people have said I should make around what I spend come resale so it's not too big of a risk

133/225/CLS AMG
In terms of the engine, I can't see that kind of mileage being a huge problem. Also it's at an age where cambelts and major services should have been done so effectively you could have a few years of minimal servicing.

That said, the wear and tear that would bother me may be on the interior and paintwork. It may drive perfectly well but show it's mileage badly. That said I've seen 100k cars that look better than 20k cars so can only gauge it on a car by car basis.