ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Idle

My 172 has started idle quite high ever since i took the throttle body & idle control valve off for cleaning.

I sprayed some carb cleaner around the 2 and since the idle revs are revving to 2.5k when stopped and around the 3k mark when braking/changing gear.

ANy ideas what could be wrong? When into my local stealers and they said disconnect the battery for 5 mins :S

Cro

Meg'd r27
If it hadn't been so late and the wife nagging me mate, I could have plugged the laptop in see if anything came up

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'd check for any Air Leaks but if there is it would usually Rev the nuts off the engine so maybe try the Battery Disconnect Route.

Clio 172 sport
My 172 has started idle quite high ever since i took the throttle body & idle control valve off for cleaning.

I sprayed some carb cleaner around the 2 and since the idle revs are revving to 2.5k when stopped and around the 3k mark when braking/changing gear.

ANy ideas what could be wrong? When into my local stealers and they said disconnect the battery for 5 mins :S

By spraying carb cleaner into the throttle body you have removed the fine lubricant inside the body.

You need to buy some dry lubricant or silicone lubricant from say halfords and lubricate the inside of the throttle body where your butterfly moves across.. this will allow the butterfly to stop sticking and allow it to move freely, therefore eliminating the sticking butterfly which is causing the high idle.. i know how frustrating it can be lol

I would also recommend spraying lubricant onto the springs which make the butterfly spring backwards and forwards located on the side of the body

Mine idled at about 3k when i tried to reuse a nackered throttle body gasket.

A new one sorted it instantly.

Renault part number is 77 00 866 483 Somewhere around the £1 mark. My local stealer had to order it in from france however so took a week or so.

PH1 172 Sport
If its not got a gasket then go get one from a dealer or make one using silicone gasket stuff. At least that rules it out.

Could also be a sticky throttle cable or return spring on the TB.