ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HIDs flickering... NO idea what to do...

Bit of an odd one but the 6k HIDs off paul16v are flickering, i dont want another reason to get pulled off the police so need them sorted.

i have asked paul on his thread and he said 'might be a bad earth' i have no idea how to even look for this or address it. the normal OEM lights didnt flicker so i doubt its that.

I have swapped the ballasts around too and checked the connections countless times, had HIDs on the meg for ages and they havent skipped a beat.

it could be they are simply a faulty set, in that case they'll have to be returned I'm guessing, but we'll just have to see

anyone had similar problems or advice on how to sort this...?

CBR1K, F21 125D
start with the earths as said.

Clean them up, check for damage and make sure they're tight.

soon to be 182 ;)
as said in pm mine have done the same, they were sent out the same day from the same batch, mine are also 6k's and i recon it could be a faulty batch, and then they would have to go back as they are warrented iirc? i havent checked my connections but seems a bit strange that they were sent out the same time.

LY R27
mine did this
even after buying a new set
clean up the connections
use contact cleaner on all standard - aftermarket connections
and give all other connections a blow out before reconnecting

hope this hlpes

soon to be 182 ;)
mine did this
even after buying a new set
clean up the connections
use contact cleaner on all standard - aftermarket connections
and give all other connections a blow out before reconnecting

hope this hlpes

were yours ok after this?

they boot up fine, warm up, then flicker after about 30 seconds, its hard to tell on the road but they do. i imagine to tohers during movement it just gives the impression you are bouncing along and the roads giving the impression of flicker but it is constant.

clio williams, Ph1 172
give me a shout if cleaning connections up doesnt help. Could be faulty bulbs or ballasts. I can replace them if so.
Do both sides do it? and how badly? I have a set here from the same batch I will try on my car to see if they flicker, but no one else has had problems out of the batch of 12 I received.

soon to be 182 ;)
give me a shout if cleaning connections up doesnt help. Could be faulty bulbs or ballasts. I can replace them if so.
Do both sides do it? and how badly? I have a set here from the same batch I will try on my car to see if they flicker, but no one else has had problems out of the batch of 12 I received.

paul try the batch you have as i doubt it would be the same on two sets both on different cars? what connections need cleaning?

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Mine done this so I got sent out a replacement ballast tried that and it still done it. So I bought some new bulbs and it still carried on doing it. Had a play around with the ballasts and asked for another one to be sent out. Fitted it and it was spot on. Flickering is a common problem for faulty ballasts.

Clio 1.6 16v
Mine wheren't exactly perfect either when i got mine,

They where all fitted correctly and what not, just sometimes if i put on full beam it would turn my left light off totally and i would end up spending alot of time flashing my main beams to try and get them to work properly again!

Not good in my opinion :)

They have been being alright for the moment though that was just initially when i first got them?

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
The 6000k means nothing that's just the temperature the bulb burns at. You can use any 35w bulb with a 35 ballast. I just remembered that mine was flickering for a while and then I completely stopped working.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
It could be faulty bulbs too best start with the free options though. I have some 6000k bulbs for sale H1 fitment not sure if there any good to you?

thanks paul, dont for one second think i'm being negative, your service and indeed the quality of the whole transaction was/is second to none.

if you could check for me chris it would be great, i've just stripped them down and rechecked the connections and they flicker after about 30 seconds of use. i'll check the earths checked paul and report back to you.

clio williams, Ph1 172
You need to check the earths on the car are good really. and check all the connections on the kit are pushed in properly and are clean. Are the bulbs a nice blue/white colour? When the bulbs are faulty they tend to have more of a pink tint to them.

soon to be 182 ;)
lights are blue/white, light is strong, connectors have been checked and checked. getting the earths checked off christopher asap.

clio williams, Ph1 172
We'll get it sorted later this week. I have a load more coming. I'll test them on my own car before sending to you.
I will need the ballasts returning though, or possibly could just cut the wires and send me a photo of them, then I can get replacements next time I order from my supplier.

I had a set of HID's that use to flicker/turn off then a few seconds later turn on. I changed my alternator and it never happened again!

clio williams, Ph1 172
Yeh thats the problem with electrics. Hard to tell whats causing it, could be a bad earth, could be alternator on its way out. Without trying another kit on or testing the kit on another car is hard to find the problem.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm betting on dodgy earthing still. Where have you used? The point near the battery?

I'll have a nosey for you on Friday

chris had a look today, as he removed the sidelights to check we noticed one sidelight led was flickering, after about 5 mins the flicker went and the led was dead, so we swapped leds and the other led worked fine in the socket. lights still flicker though after about 30 seconds...

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Where they cheap led's of eBay mine did that. I defo think you just need new ballast as for the sidelights most eBay ones do that. Your best bet is to try a mates ballast and see how that goes.