ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID lights - What is 8000k like?

S2000
A set has come up for sale local to me at a very good price so I'm thinking about getting them but I'm not sure how good the 8000k ones are. Has anyone got a set/seen a set and what do you think? are they too blue?

Also, if anybody has got them have you been pulled over for them at all?

Finally, am I right in thinking an H4 Hi/Lo Beam kit will fit a Mk1 clio fine?

Thanks.

Way too blue imo, the higher the intensity the less light you actually get.

So 12k HID's would be purple in colour and give you f**k all light, if you see what i mean.

Go for 6k if you are going to get some, that way there is not to much light coming from them that you blind other drivers and they oem in colour so you dont get in trouble.

I can get the kits for £110 with a 12 month uk warrenty if you are interested.

S2000
Yeah thats kind of what I thought as I know the the light output is inversely proportional to the k rating. It was 6000k I was after before but I'm thinking I might give them a go anyway as they are only costing me £50 so can't really complain, also it means that if I don't like them I can sell them on easily enough.

Is it definately just a normal H4 fitting thats needed?

S2000
Another quick question - if you go for a Hi/Lo set do they normally use xenons for the dipped beam and go back to halogens for the full beam or is it normally xenons for both?

Just wondering as I had thought they used xenons for both but it seems that might not be the case. I know some definately use xenons for both but I'm not sure if all Hi/Lo beam sets do.

Even on the 172/182 the high beam is not a xenon bulb, just a halogen as they are not on half as much as low beam.

Chelsea tractor
Hi/lo means that it's a effectively a bi-xenon lamp doesn't it? ie. the one bulb does both lights by bending the arc.

Hid kits are ilegal , but if you have a projector style head lamp e.g the ph 1 172 they may pass an mot ;)

S2000
I know there can be issues with the law about these, but if you were pulled over by the police what would be the likely outcome - would you just be told to change them or would you be fined etc?

Hopefully I wouldn't get pulled over as I know of a few people local to me running similar kits who haven't had any problems, but just incase I would want to know the risk I was running. Also, whats the deal with if they are E-marked or not, I'm still waiting to find out if this set are or not but if they are not what are the consequences if you are caught?

Chelsea tractor
Hi/lo means that it's a effectively a bi-xenon lamp doesn't it? ie. the one bulb does both lights by bending the arc.

I thought bi xenon was two xenon bulbs ? e.g one for each ?

Are they? It would take a while for the bulb to warm up surely?

I know our Disco only has one bulb. I always thought that there's nomally either a cover or something that manipulates the arc?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
bi-xenons have a double xenon beam im sure.Plus they are always hot due to the charger pack on them,so they can give off light instantly

8k is way too high, i have the 6k and the light out them isnt that great, they look fookin immense though

S2000
ok, so if you get a H4 Hi/Lo kit that is not bi-xenon does that still have an HID main beam or is the main beam a halogen one?