ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hid Conversion Kits....illegal ?

182 inside
well i hate to say it, alot of cars such as bmw and mercedes hid standard lights dazzle everyone. Their system may point the light the right way but I still get dazzled.

local plod have no clue what they are looking for.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
well i hate to say it, alot of cars such as bmw and mercedes hid standard lights dazzle everyone. Their system may point the light the right way but I still get dazzled.

local plod have no clue what they are looking for.

I think its easy to see bright lights as dazzle and I wouldn't disagree they can be, but if you see someone coming the other way with one of these kits, they are 100 times worse.

I think there are a lot of police officers who know that a 1990 1.2 Clio didn't come with HID lights, and don't forget they do get briefing notes on these things.

There are a lot of petrol head coppers out there !!!

182 inside
probably right but if someone wants the techno;ogy. they'll buy it. personally i'd rather see chav's service and look after their cars than buy one of these kits.

Da

Less
this is why I went for the 182 xenon units rather than opting to retro-fit them. The beam is perfect and car passes it's MOT every time.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ive had my 172 pass a MOT with a 6000k hid kit.. i think it kinda go's on what car you are running them on. if you have the OEM opic lights (like the mk1 172's) then the beam looks factory xenon.. but if there just fitted to a normal headlight unit then the light isnt "focused" and just looks daft.

also it depends on what temp kit you use. 6000k looks like a normal xenon
but the 8000k, 10000k kits look gash and look like an obvious tacky mod and you are asking to be pulled.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
probably right but if someone wants the techno;ogy. they'll buy it. personally i'd rather see chav's service and look after their cars than buy one of these kits.

Agreed Graham, But lets face it, most of them just buy these kits because they emit a blue light and they want people to think they are driving a Police car b1.gif

TT
Personally find it more annoying when Range Rovers or BMW X5's have Xenons, dazzle the f**k out of me! Definatly good post though

TT

Agreed Graham, But lets face it, most of them just buy these kits because they emit a blue light and they want people to think they are driving a Police car View attachment 16575

not sure if its a police car or an expensive car they want to try immitate!

Racing Blue 182
My HID's arrived for my VX yesterday

They are getting fitted regardless of this anyway. the VX headlight looks like a projector type anyway, so they will looks like standard fit IMO.

Ill take the risk and if i get caught, then ill deal with it afterwards.

These HID conversions have been around for a long time and i have never heard of anyone getting done for them. I ordered 5000k, so should look more white rather than blue.

If its a safty risk getting dazzled, then all range rover light should be removed as they are a nighmare. Its bad with any cars light in the VX due to the ride height.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I just did a search for "HID" on www/ebay.co.uk

Nearly all adverts offering "HID" globes were fraudulent. They are not HID globes, they are tungsten filament globes that use zenon as the halogen gas in the bulb. Some were fraudulently labelled on the packaging as HID. You can be sure any company that dishonest is selling rubbish. Others were genuine quality products fraudulently claimed to be HID by the seller. These may be good products, but they're not HID globes.

Very very very few were genuinely HID globes. If you've non-HID headlights, and you are offered a "HID globe" that fits, its a fraud. Real HID globes require a ballast. So if its not a kit that includes all the other hardware its fraudulent.

There's an old saying that consumer organisations use. "If the price is too good to be true, it probably is." When something is cheap ask yourself why. There are some genuine bargains. But often the reason its cheap is that its a fraud or there's a quality problem.

Its not really surprising that Auto Express can find a set of really crappy badly-engineered bulbs, because there are so many around. That doesn't mean there is any inherent "dazzle" problem with HID bulbs, or that they should be banned. What it means is that ebay has allowed the wholesale marketing into this country of often Chinese-made cheap unapproved badly-engineered rubbish.

If a headlight bulb has the proper EUROPEAN approval marks that show it is properly engineered there isn't a glare problem and it should be legal.

Auto Express would be doing a better service by first eliminating all the products from the market falsely labelled as HID. Then getting rid of the rubbish, or at least educating consumers to only buy products that have the appropriate approval marks. Then seeing if what's left still had a glare problem.

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
shouldnt be a problem if the kit is installed properly, agree with sticking to the 6k kit tho, which is what i have and my night driving is now safer as i can see much better than using the original valver candles.

Personally find it more annoying when Range Rovers or BMW X5's have Xenons, dazzle the f**k out of me! Definatly good post though
Agreed. They're simply too high up and are in a lot of "normal" car drivers eye level. Terrible when one is behind you at the lights too, it's always right in your door mirror blinding you (I'm sure some do it on purpose as they seem to pull up slightly to the right of yours so the headlight is directly in line with the mirror).

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Absolutely agree Gordon,

There is one seller who has been selling blue tinged Halogen bulbs in HID packaging. Made in China. Ebay wont do anything about him, so he is getting away with conning people.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....tle=260084292201&fvi=1&item=260084292201&rd=1

The whole issue of REAL conversion sets is not whether or not they fit, the regulations say that all cars fitted with HID lights must have self leveling suspension and headlight washers, fitted. Without this they are illegal and should not pass an MOT.
Up till very recently lots of test stations would pass cars as long as the beam patterns were within limits, but now VOSA have circulated an instruction warning them of the need for S/Lev. and washers.

What this means is any station ignoring the instruction commits an offence which could lose them their status as a test station. All this of course assumes they get caught.
I am sure it will be a popular fail for a while though.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
How come some of the last of the line CTR's came with xenons and no headlamp washers?

Da

Less
I was thinking that, seen cars previously with xenons but no washers.
I know they're a 'legal' requirement but what exactly do they do besides dribble water over the lens because surely without wipers as well the dirt/dead bugs etc will just remain.

Better than yours. C*nt.
The washer does help with a little of the washing, but yeah I agree they do bugger all anyway.

I agree with the article though - while they may generalise with all of the HID conversions, the only way to stop people buying cheap kits is to make all of them illegal - until then people with less money or sense will see it as a viable option, completely forgetting the whole 'buy cheap, buy twice' argument.

Vee dub
I've seen the HID kits fitted to a few mk1 clios and imo they look terrible... way too bright.

On modern cars I think they look ok due to the headlamp being more suited. Standard xenons = way forward

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Is 'Xennon' a new element?

Whats the difference between 'Xennon sic headlights' and HID headlights which use xenon?

dCi 100
Waitey,

That Civic doesn't have standart xenon. It could be an aftermarket kit or he used the OEM headlight, but it didn't come with the car when he bought it.

If he ordered the car with xenon, it must have the washers as you can see in the following picture :)

042.jpg

Cheers,
J!

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I only mentioned it as my friend in manchester has a brand new one with no washer jets but factory fitted xenons.

dCi 100
Hey,

Really? Strange! You sure they're xenon? Some cars have projector type headlights but use regular halogen bulbs :)

Cheers,
J!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Is 'Xennon' a new element?

Whats the difference between 'Xennon sic headlights' and HID headlights which use xenon?

The difference is, a car dealer that cant spell .

(sic) is an editing abreviation for spelt incorrectly

Not all xenon headlights are HID. Xenon is a gas that is used in halogen bulbs because it emits a blue glow when the gas is excited by electrical discharge.

HID lamps produce light by striking an electrical arc across tungsten electrodes housed inside a specially designed inner fused quartz or fused alumina tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metals. The gas aids in the starting of the lamps. Then, the metals produce the light once they are heated to a point of evaporation, forming a plasma.

I was thinking that, seen cars previously with xenons but no washers.
I know they're a 'legal' requirement but what exactly do they do besides dribble water over the lens because surely without wipers as well the dirt/dead bugs etc will just remain.

allthey do is spray water over the light which diffuses the beam all over, dazzling other drivers, and then leaves a big streak down your wing.. great invention eh.

Milltek'd 182
good post. didnt know they were illegal, but i have seen them about. is there a law on sidelights (eg the PIAA ones)? i agree with graham_172, i do find alot of cars BMW especially that dazzle me with their lights. i wish i could adjust the levels on mine because i feel they are too high; and sometimes on the motorway at night i need them a bit higher!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
i think the reason why aftermarket HID kits have "alot" more glare than standard fit cars because say for eg HID equiped 172/182s have an automatic light leveller built in to the rear subframe and adjust the way the beam projects its light to reduce dazzle, a williams or a 1.2 campus doesnt have this feature. Tbh i think they should ban xenons and HID altogether, on b-roads they are serioulsy dangerous and really do dazzle you on m-ways