ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hi! Just got a 172

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
Hi peeps,

I'm Chris (as you might have guessed ;)) and live in Harrogate, North Yorkshire.
Just bought myself a nice silver Clio 172 that seems to be in mint condition.
Looking forward to testing it out properly this week :D

I've also got a highly modified Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo that I've owned for 7 years.
If any of you are into your Japanese cars I've got loads of pics of it.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
wecome to CS!

get out to some yorkshire meets, we had a good run over the north york moors last year:D

get some pics up of both your cars;)

182trophy & Williams
Welocme fella.mates got a twin turbo zx, been dieing to have a rip with him, see how the trophy does, i think i'll do alright up to about 90, be interesting to hear your thought once youve strtched the 172's legs

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
Thanks for the welcome guys! :clown:

Glad to hear a few of you are interested in other cars - I've been on some car/manufacturer specific forums and had posts deleted for showing pics of the "wrong" car :nono:
At the end of the day some of us are into cars of all types and I think that kind of thing is a bit pathetic :rolleyes:

I found this place from a sticker on the back of the Clio so maybe one of you guys had it round the Leeds area where I bought it, although the 2 previous owners were in Cardiff and Aberdeen so could have been up there too.
It's got a full service history, loads of receipts and just had the cam belt changed 2000 miles ago.

Here's some pics:
2172903960_c62d208b26.png

2172904304_5338e53540.png

2172904104_8272717f9d.png

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
Here's a few of the Z:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2045/2126290563_c09bf88ec3.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/2126290513_f08d9b2a50.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2254/2126290443_82f9b48706.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2120/2127067370_f94629a5bb.jpg?v=0
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2124/2126280753_6614c37219.jpg?v=0

Makes the Clio look simple under the bonnet LOL
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2021/2126290205_0779a5d97d.jpg?v=0

It's currently running around 500bhp but needs more mapping so I can turn the boost up a bit more.
It should be close to 600bhp by then :cool:
I went to the Nurburgring in 2006 and managed an 8.5 min lap with 190mph blasts on the way there LOL

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
Welocme fella.mates got a twin turbo zx, been dieing to have a rip with him, see how the trophy does, i think i'll do alright up to about 90, be interesting to hear your thought once youve strtched the 172's legs

I only got the 172 today and couldn't use any of the power on wet greasy roads but I can see it being very quick and it seems really responsive.

If your mate's 300ZX is standard then it's about 300bhp & 5.5s (manual) or 280bhp & 6.5s (auto) to 60mph but with the extra power it will be quicker mid range from about 60mph all the way up to 140ish once the turbo's are really pulling.
You'll probably leave it off the line up to 35 ish and as you've probably got far newer suspension you'll be neck and neck on the twisties I reckon.
The auto is actually slightly quicker to 100mph than the manual 300ZX due to different turbos and cams.
With the limiter removed they can do 185mph ish and with 500bhp+ they can hit close to 200mph and do 0-60 in around 4 secs ;)

Would love to come to some meets in either car :)

Last edited:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice Ph1 and a Very Nice 300ZX

Not too keen on 300ZX's Myself but with nearly 600Bhp I've gotta love this one!

Andy

182trophy & Williams
far newer suspension you'll be neck and neck on the twisties I reckon.
:)[/quote]

I can live with being dicked in a straight line as that things rapid as fook,but i'd like to think i'll smoke him in the twisties;) we'll have to see once his sump is sorted. its standard + manual

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
I can live with being dicked in a straight line as that things rapid as fook,but i'd like to think i'll smoke him in the twisties;)we'll have to see once his sump is sorted. its standard + manual

You probably will on B roads as the 300 is really a GT car and weighs nearly twice as much as a Clio Cup LOL

Really looking forward to taking the 172 for a thrash round the dales here.
I go out in the Nissan for a blast and can get through 30 quid of petrol in an hours fun :eek:
It gets down to 5mpg ish and is really hurting my wallet.

What's the lowest mpg I can expect from the Clio when driven hard?

182trophy & Williams
It gets down to 5mpg ish and is really hurting my wallet.

What's the lowest mpg I can expect from the Clio when driven hard?[/quote]

thats offensive lol.mid to lowish twenties

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
thats offensive lol.mid to lowish twenties

That's why its been a weekend/track day car for the last couple of years, it's just not possible to use it daily anymore since I modified it.
Love the car to bits but some of the bills I'm faced with are just mental and thats after being forced into doing most of the work myself because garages either won't touch it or know I won't be prepared to pay the big labour costs.
The engine has to come out to do work on the turbo's which is a £600 bill before you start.
I've done engine strips and swaps, remapping, turbo upgrades, clutch changes, converted it from auto to manual etc etc so I know it inside out now and 3 years ago I'd never touched a spanner LOL

Mid to lowish twenties will be heaven in a fast car :)
I think my 172 has had a full stainless exhaust fitted from a quick look under the rear. The back box is certainly not standard.
What sort of power increase will a zorst and filter give? 10bhp?

Clio 172, Nissan 300ZX
That Z looks amazing under the bonnet. NO ROOM LEFT AT ALL!

There's no room to get your hand down the side of the engine anywhere.
There's 2 air intakes under the panel in the nose, extra oil coolers, big intercoolers at the sides, water bottles and loads of other gear inside the wings :S
I've actually stripped out LOADS of emissions related stuff that's not needed and had a pile 4 feet wide and a foot high of scrap to bin! LOL
Saves weight and less to go wrong in future. Has to be done when its so hard to work on - I had a water hose to the turbo split and had to pull the engine again. Decided to replace all the hoses and bypass others that weren't needed while i was at it.