ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with iPhone/getting a new one.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Ok bought my iPhone on contract on August 25th 2009

EVERY time i've updated the os on it, it's bricked, sent it back twice to 02, second time they sent me a "replacement phone" now i assume this is not a new phone?

I just checked the serial number and it says the warranty runs out on the phone on August the 25th 2010 so it can't be.

I'm going to a Apple store this week because, guess what updated to os4 and it's bricked again, managed to get it working using my mates mac, but it won't charge unless i attach it to a computer, then reboot the computer.

So i've restored it (knowing it wold brick it) so i can take it to apple.

Do you think it's unreasonable to expect a new phone with a full years warranty?
Or atleast for them to extend it?

Cheers

You can always ask fella. But I wouldn't suggest you would get anywhere with extending the warranty.

Mini Cooper S
You get a 1 year warranty from the date you purchase the phone, the new phone won't have a fresh warranty on it. It will continue you from the first purchase.

172 mk2
when a replacement is given it comes with a 3 month warranty. unless your original year warranty exceeds that period.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
So i've got a recurring fault, surely that fault is covered for a year?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I'd hazzard a guess at it being an issue with your computer, maybe sort that first.

There is an issue. Any other suggestion is highly improbable.

You get 90 days "Extra warranty" from Apple for replacments

Barge
I was under the impression that the warranty starts again as you've been given effectively a 'new' unit from Apple if they replace it. I wouldn't expect to buy a fridge, it f**ks up during warranty and they replace it but say my warranty is only valid till the end of the warranty on the first fridge. Perhaps my understanding is wrong but I'd argue till I was blue in the face if they didn't honour a full warranty but I guess all places are different and a phone isn't a fridge.

I have a lot of problems with upgrading OS on my Windows 7 machine, it literally just will not play ball. Any upgrades to OS or restores I have to do have to be done on my XP laptop which works a treat. If you're running Win7 I know that is likely to be the problem.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
if you have had multiple iphones but they keep going wrong when connected to your computer, it sounds like it is your computer being the problem not the iphone imo.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've tried updating it on

Same Laptop
with vista/ windows 7, both fresh installs, both f**ked up
Laptop was bought only couple months before the phone to.

Mac
Worked, eventually after about 5 tries.
Even then afterwards the phone won't charge.

I've had 1 "replacment phone" which had a new serial number, but this could just be my original phone with a new part.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I changed mine just a week or so ago, the phone you get from apple comes with a 90 day waranty, but if you can get the phone working using a friends mac or whatever it does scream to me that there is something not right with the machine you're plugging it into.

This won't stop Apple giving you another, they'll have no trouble doing so at all, but as said, you'll only get 90 days or whatever is left of the existing year since you bought the handset.

EDIT: Just read your post above, get a new one, should be problem solved.

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It doesn't work after using the mac though, it won't charge!

Barge
Vista is also a nightmare with Apple. Before I upgraded to 7, Vista was equally as problematic for me.

If you have a XP machine, or access to anyone that does when you need to update the OS use that. I still back up on my Win7 machine.

Well go in with the charging as the 'problem' they'll either look at your mains charger or they'll give you a new one. But most problems you're mentioning is the PC.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I'll just have to not update it after 25 August.

Oh and if i just roll up to Apple will they turn me away for not making an appointment.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It is when you live MILES away from the shop, day wasted just to get a phone repaired.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Make the appointment with Apple, visit the genius with your laptop and show them what's going wrong when you update. Don't use o2 for repairs because they are s**t.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How can it be me, plug phone in, press update, boom it dies, it's worked when doing minor updates, it's just the big ones.

Hmm taking laptop to could be a plan.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
It is when you live MILES away from the shop, day wasted just to get a phone repaired.

how far do you live from an apple store?

i had to travel about 30 odd miles.

i appreciate it is a ball ache but i would suggest it is only apple who will be able to solve your problem.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
52 miles each way.

Anway, thread was about the warranty, and it appears i won't get any.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Open iTunes, plug phone it, press update, leave it to it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Might go round my mates Tonight and MAC it again, see if i can charge it after doing it again.

The reason you get it back with the same serial is because there isn't actually anything wrong with your phone. They just restore it properly and send it back.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You using the same cable everytime? I'd go get another from poundland just to test.