ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help With House Move/No WIFI BT Hub etc etc.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Hi all,
Im moving house on Friday and BT have just said they wont be able to connect me before Christmas due to Openreach being dicks and all the usual excuses.
My problem is that my wife works from home and we need some kind of cheap 4G booster aerial or a plug in wifi stick thing.
Im not sure at all what to do for the best. Has anyone got any experience of this and what did you do/ how much and where from.
Advanced thanks,

Ian.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Get a cheap 4G dongle.

Or get friendly with the new neighbours and ask for their wifi password.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Get a cheap 4G dongle.

Or get friendly with the new neighbours and ask for their wifi password.

Oh yeah, if one of the neighbours has a boggo standard bt wifi router, you can just use the BT WIFI SSID, and login with your BT account details. Did they when we first moved to the current place, but only one corner of one room had useable signal.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sure an advert for BT that was on recently mentions them giving you a 4g hub if you lose internet for a while.
Surely you should be able to get this as you'll be paying for internet without receiving anything.

Edit. Might have to be a BT broadband plus user to get close to qualifying for it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Voxi do a data sim with 45gb for £20. Just hotspot an old android phone.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Bit of an update and thanks for the replies apart from spunk trumpet @STEVE.M who once again is struggling with the outcome of the referendum.

Anyway I spoke to richer sounds today who I had hardwire the house when it was being built. They came in and fitted a unit in my under stairs cupboard and buried all the cables in the walls etc etc but what it means is that I can have sky Q installed but in order for the 2nd box to work ill need wifi which will come in a few weeks due to openreach being slow and useless. Anyway Bovis who built the house are also giving us a 40gig a month 4G booster dongle thing that will let the wife work and me and april can watch home alone.
Moving tomorrow and sky are coming between 12-5pm and the richer sounds guy will be at the house all day as im having one of their mini sky dishes fitted instead of a big sky dish.
Fingers crossed......and again thanks for the replies.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If you’ve got a 40GB ration for someone’s livelihood then I wouldn’t let kids use it. 40GB doesn’t go very far when you’re rinsing Netflix and YouTube. (You could just buy more of course...)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If you’ve got a 40GB ration for someone’s livelihood then I wouldn’t let kids use it. 40GB doesn’t go very far when you’re rinsing Netflix and YouTube. (You could just buy more of course...)
That 40gig will just be for the wifes lap top and the sky apparently will run on its own.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'm sure an advert for BT that was on recently mentions them giving you a 4g hub if you lose internet for a while.
Surely you should be able to get this as you'll be paying for internet without receiving anything.

Edit. Might have to be a BT broadband plus user to get close to qualifying for it.

but he's not lost internet, he's starting a new contract at the new property which hasn't begun yet, so technically not a customer yet. Also how soon did the OP put in the request for the connection for broadband at the new property.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
but he's not lost internet, he's starting a new contract at the new property which hasn't begun yet, so technically not a customer yet. Also how soon did the OP put in the request for the connection for broadband at the new property.
I didn't read it properly tbh. Assumed he would have just shifted his current contract to the new address.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Ask for your neighbours code? My brother just had someone move in the upstairs flat to him and and she knocked on his door asking if she could be cheeky and have his Wi-Fi code until hers was installed lol... did say she was pretty fit though to be fair.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I didn't read it properly tbh. Assumed he would have just shifted his current contract to the new address.
with every provider when you move address, it's similar to a phone upgrade, they cancel your old contract and start a new one at the new address and whilst you are inbetween there is no charge, so I think the OP didn't arrange this early enough...

Ask for your neighbours code? My brother just had someone move in the upstairs flat to him and and she knocked on his door asking if she could be cheeky and have his Wi-Fi code until hers was installed lol... did say she was pretty fit though to be fair.

Hope he got payment for his generosity if she was fit....

Nothings free tell her ?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Going for a drink tonight apparently... we will see eh :p be nice for him not be moaning his arse off on Christmas day lol.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

I have a dedicated guest VLAN, you have to login with a code I generate, only allows visitors access to the network for 24 hours (or less if I cancel the code!)