ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with coolant pipes...

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
Had this part go on me today, just below my top hose :dapprove:

Its solid metal i think and a small hole has appeared on the corner (the clean bit) of the bend..Thus spitting all my coolant over the floor
Firstly i dont know what the part/pipe is called (so cant order a new bit)
And also how easy is it to replace myself ??
Its a 95 1.8 RSi

Thanks Keith

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01051.jpg

if its anything like the Mk2 you cant just buy 1 coolant hose, i had to buy the complete set (3 hoses).

but i dont know about the old clios, what i do know however is thats made a hell of a mess!

Valver
Best bet would be to source one 2nd hand renault would probably charge a fortune might be worth checking anyway...

Im sure if you clean it up you can botch a repair with some tape or something in the mean time though?

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
Does anyone know what theis pipe is called etc ?

It Y's off and then a rubber hose connects to it and T's into the bottom rad hose.....If that makes any sense :S
It is just below the rad top hose near the air box.....

Need to get this back on the road for a trip to Cornwall next weekend :dapprove:

Any ideas guys ???

Cheers Keith

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Keith,
Looking at the photographs it hard to see which pipe you are talking about, can you mark it on the photograph. Tell me, what year and engine size the car is and I will have a look on the parts slide for you.

The colour of the coolant is a worry though, did you have anti-freeze in there?

I wouldn't go anywhere till you get that fixed properly.

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
The coolant was just done/changed 3 days ago...Although it was only drained from the rad not the block as well, it was very cloudy to start with...
The car is a M plate 1.8 RSi think its a 1995..
Hosepipethingy.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance :cool:

Cheers Keith

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out, I've had 2 split hose's now but mine is an RT. Might be a bit harder to get from a scrapyard as theyr're not as common. Fitting isn't very difficult but you'll need to bleed the system again and make sure there's no air lock.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Keith,
That is the pipe that runs from the heater to the bottom hose and expansion vessel, I can work out a part number for you if you give me the letters (not the numbers) from the VIN

Valver
Keith,
Looking at the photographs it hard to see which pipe you are talking about, can you mark it on the photograph. Tell me, what year and engine size the car is and I will have a look on the parts slide for you.

The colour of the coolant is a worry though, did you have anti-freeze in there?

I wouldn't go anywhere till you get that fixed properly.

My coolant is the same colour as well :S

S2000
All the colour of it means is that the coolant hasn't been changed in a good while, not that it's not got and anti-freeze. Give it a good flush through and it should come out fine.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
What that coolant colour tells me, is there is a car that hasn't been serviced properly. The radiator, heater, block, thermostat, water-pump and oh! yes the hoses and pipes are likely to be blocked or about to fail.

I know its a cast iron block, but you can still run inhibitor/anti freeze and the coolant should stay green/blue/pink depending on what you use.

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
The coolant was changed on Tuesday this week :dapprove:

My top rad hose sucks in (completly over 5,000rpm) have been told its just old and needs replacing (£40 from Renault:dapprove:)
Would this be due to the system being blocked up and in need of a proper flush ?????

And how do i do a proper flush ??

This is the part that has gone and the hole :dapprove:
DSC00252.jpg

holeypipe.jpg

I think i have ordered the right part from Renault today (fingers crossed) £17 :eek::eek:

Cheers Keith

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If its only £17 Keith, thats a result for Renault parts.;)

Thats been caused by years of neglecting to flush and change the coolant.:dapprove:

I found the simplest method of cleaning a system out is to make up a short adapter pipe for you garden hose and connect it to the upper most heater pipe under the bonnet, make sure the pipe you take off the heater is pointing down, turn on and go and make a cup of coffee.....:coffee:

Valver
If its only £17 Keith, thats a result for Renault parts.;)

Thats been caused by years of neglecting to flush and change the coolant.:dapprove:

I found the simplest method of cleaning a system out is to make up a short adapter pipe for you garden hose and connect it to the upper most heater pipe under the bonnet, make sure the pipe you take off the heater is pointing down, turn on and go and make a cup of coffee.....:coffee:
Do you mean the top one which goes into the heater matrix?

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
The part the guy ordered was the wrong one :dapprove:

Have gone into Renault (Taunton) today with the part and the guy says he cant find a parts number for that bit (as you said Brian), he is going to try to sort it out in the morning (fingers crossed)

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
It was strange that, i couldn't understand why it doesn't appear on the parts list.
I hope they can sort it out for you, if not, find a plumber and get him to solder a joint in it for you.

Renault Clio RSi Mk1
Have thought about getting it welded/brazzed, but i have found another small hole in it now, so how long before another hole appears somewhere else:dapprove:

I am in the building industry and have also thought about replacing the part completly with copper pipe or even plastic push fit ;)

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow:cool: