ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help with buying a 172

ok ive done some insurance quotes and i can finally afford the insurance for a 172!! so i just wondered from the owners if you could advise me on what to do. do i either...

get one now, either sell or trade in my 2001 y reg 1.6 16v and get one thats done about 60-80k

or

wait a few months and sell mine and put some money to it and get one thats done about 40k?

reason being i have £0 at the moment and i really want a 172 before i renew my insurance which is middle of june. what are 172s like at 80k? do many things start to go or do they still run well?

thanx

Suzuki SV1000S

36k- Bought one for a mate with 55k on the clock for £5400 asking price was 6500 though - there are some bargains out there!

133/225/CLS AMG

If it was me then Id try and get one with the lower mileage on it!! Purely as youll have less to worry about.

Thats just me though, Im sure a well maintained one will be going strong on 60-80k :D

Persoanly Id be happier with high milage car particularly ones which have already had there costly 72k service.
You can get Mk1 172s with 80k for £4.5~£5k on private sale and if thats the shape your after then thats th one Id get. If you realy want a Mk2 2 shape with the triangular lights then Id get one of the later 03 reg ones with crusie control and EBD.

The engines are very relaible no need to worry about wear only the gearbox and clutch can be weekish points.

mines done 25k miles tis a 2001 cost me 7k from a dealer a lil more than i wanted to pay but i got the car id been after for ever and warranty for it too ;) as long as its been serviced when it should have been should be fine mate id wait for a while though till you can afford one with lower mileage and exactly how you want it (for peace of mind!). Took me 2 months of looking to find mine!

I got mine a couple of months a go with 30k on the clock, 2001, frsh, 1 year MOT, 6 months tax, new brakes just fitted. I paid 6k for it.

I love it :)

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 27 May 2005

28k and for sale! (see for sale section)

^ Good buy that one ^ thats the sort I would look for if I was buying again. Very nice mate ;)

[Edited by Mark_Petty on 27 May 2005 at 10:45am]