ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help!!!What 182 to choose????

172 Ph2
I'm at the point where I'm gonna get myself a clio in the next few weeks. I started looking around and have gathered a lot of information from the forum and from the press, my dad has a 172 which I've driven a bit too. I'm finding it very hard to come to any kind of conclusion as to what to buy! I've got a budget of up to £11,000ish and can't buy a V6 as my GF has just passed her test and will be driving the car(I don't think a mid engined rwd 200bhp hatch is the best car for her to 'learn the ropes' in). I want something low mileage, probably a 182 and it will be used day-day, with a few trips onto the track each year. My probem is which 182 to choose? For my budget, I could probably find a decent trophy, but is it really worth the extra cash over a 182 with lowish mileage at say £8000-£8500? Could I get a better car by buying a standard 182 for 8.5K and fitting some Billie coilovers for a grand? Are the sachs dampers THAT much better? Also, there are a lot of 182's out there and some have the cup pack, some don't. I'm guessing the cup pack is essential?

106 GTi
Alot comes down to do you want Leather, Climate, etc or a specific colour. If yes to the above you will be better off with a Full Fat 182, if no then worth looking at the 182 Cup.

The Cup packs are a worthy extra - but if your planning a Coilover set up, you could just get the non cupped anyway.

Cup Spoiler Pack get a larger rear spoiler and lower chin front lip spolier.

Cup Suspension Pack - gets 3mm lower ride height, Anthracite Wheels, and slightly firmer ride.

The Sachs set up is good, but still a compromise for both road and track - but never will have the adjustabilily the coilovers will have.

A 182BHP clio is hardley an ideal car for your misses to start driving either,insurance will still be silly

172 Ph2
CRAGS said:
A 182BHP clio is hardley an ideal car for your misses to start driving either,insurance will still be silly

She learnt to drive in a 106 rallye, then a 306 rallye, then our current c2 vts(which she's driving around in now). The insurence isn't that bad. I got a quote the other day. My c2 costs £360 a year for the 2 of us, the 182 will be £670. I've got 8 yrs no claims and It's in my name(could be a bad thing:) ).

172 Ph2
CUPCRAZY said:
Put 5K in your savings and buy a low milage 172cup.

I spose that's a good idea. I really want air-con though! I'm also a little worried about buying a 3 or 4 year old car. Don't really want to be spending money on the car when I get it and I like the idea of a a warrenty, I guess £5,000 will buy me a lot of reapairs!!!!!

106 GTi
Look for a late 172 Cup with Aircon.

Or get a normal 172 and fit Coilovers will save you some more money over the 182.

All depends if you want a newer car with warrenty.

172 Ph2
Rich said:
Cup Suspension Pack - gets 3mm lower ride height, Anthracite Wheels, and slightly firmer ride.

So the cup suspension is simply stiffer/lower springs and uprated dampers? Doesn't have a wider track etc. In which case, If I can save £500 on a car cos it doesn't have the cup pack, I could just upgrade the suspension to some coil-overs and would have the same car as a 'cup pack' clio with coil-overs??

106 GTi
I think the non cupped cars have the same set up as the 172, so the Cupped 182s should have a wider track

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
MARK A said:
I spose that's a good idea. I really want air-con though! I'm also a little worried about buying a 3 or 4 year old car. Don't really want to be spending money on the car when I get it and I like the idea of a a warrenty, I guess £5,000 will buy me a lot of reapairs!!!!!

Bought mine about a month ago now on a 52 plate with 16k on the clock and its mint apart from a few scuffs on the wheels.

5k for a warranty is a lot of money but a I understand where your coming from,piece of mine and all that.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
low milage Trophy, only way to go - try cliotrophy.co.uk there's a couple on there at the mo. You may be lucky to pick one up for £11k but you can try, once you try it you'll never look back.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ild personally try and get a 182, cupped with the recaro option.

It isnt just 5k for a warranty, its 5k for car which is 3yrs newer!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
adtmits said:
Ild personally try and get a 182, cupped with the recaro option.

It isnt just 5k for a warranty, its 5k for car which is 3yrs newer!!!

Its all about price depreciation for me.

You just lose to many pennies on newier cars.

wich is destined to lose that 5k over 3 years, sooooo the next 3 years will cost £1700 ish per year in motoring for car alone.

I'd got for what adtmits said despite this!!:182, cupped with the recaro option

CUPCRAZY said:

I took to long typing all that up lol! watching tv at the same time, beat me to it!! I did do the maths however:D

VaVa
No point buying a non Cupped 182. You may as well save yourself a few grand and buy a FF 172.

Other than that get either a 182 Cup or 182 Cupped FF.

Decent 172 Cups are hard to come by and have a nasty habit of ending up in hedge bottoms in the winter time (hence why they are more expensive to insure - so many claims for a vehicle of relatively few numbers!!).

Not something you want your missus to be learning the ropes in a high powered hot hatch with no ABS and no ESP...... They can be very twitchy!

The ultimate would be the Trophy - A proper limited edition so will hold it's money more than the rest (the Cup was not limited edition - there were over 2000 sold in the UK during it's production run).

Ad

MK2 FRS
CUPCRAZY said:

kinda see where you are coming from. Depends on how many miles you cover etc. A newer car is an easy option as you have fixed maintenance costs etc. Supposedly better reliability.

172 Ph2
Just bought a 182 cup in inferno orange!! 5K on the clock! Will post some pics up soon! It has air-con too:)

106 GTi
Nice one - enjoy

Aircon is standard on the 182 Cup and Trophy. Full Fat 182's get digital Climate Control.