ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help troubleshooting, top brake light, boot light and cig lighter.

Hi all,
As per title I need a hand troubleshooting a few faults that have been bugging me for a while and now the top brake light too which I just found out about.

The cigarette lighter has never worked and though I don't need it it would be nice to get it working, just check the relevant fuse??

The boot light has been a bit Iffy for a while and may just need to be the connections needing resoldered but any tips helpful.

Is there a proper fuse layout for the 182? Tried to search but no luck for some reason.

Thanks for any help.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Cigarette lighter should be incorporated into the same fuse as audio, so assuming your radio is working then the fuse will be ok, does the ring around the lighter illuminate when lights are on?

For the boot light could there could be a couple of reasons for it playing up, possible loose connection in either the wiring or the pins that hold the bulb, or it could be the switch that is operated when the boot opens.

I can get you a complete diagram of relevant fuse boxes if needed, drop me a message and I'll sort them out

Boot light seemed like a loose connection but the new led lamp had just come loose!!!! A tad shameful but so quick to fix.

Any advice for how to check the cig lighter/ boot light in terms of settings on multi meter and what points to check. I have a lot of electrical experience but no idea about vehicle electrical systems.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Wiring is as the diagram below
Screenshot_2016-04-11-19-11-37.png

Start off by checking to see if you have power and go from there

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I believe so yes, I don't have one in mine anymore. Probably best to go back to fuses and check them, I have seen a couple of fuses on other cars break and partially reconnect so they still work to a degree, had a transit do that with main ignition fuse, had everything working but it wouldn't crank, so anything is possible

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Wiring is as the diagram below
Start off by checking to see if you have power and go from there

Can you kindly supply a diagram for a 182's boot light? Mine is so temperamental at present

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Here you go bud, item 81 is the boot light unit. In fairness it's a relatively simple circuit to diagnose, if you've got a multimeter just check there's a good source of power. I expect that either the bulb is loose in the holder or the connections are corroded (esp if there's ever been a water leak)
Screenshot_2016-04-24-16-32-18.png

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If all that checks out ok then the switch is built into the bootlid catch, so the problem may lie there