ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!! Rattling coming from engine/exhaust!

Racing Blue 182
Firstly, I apologise for the basic description but I know absolutely nothing about mechanics.

I posted a thread before about a horrible king of growling coming from my brand new cat, link here.

After getting that mostly sorted (still hasn't properly gone away!) with new clamps and gaskets, I have noticed a rattling sound coming from the cat/manifold area (I think :eek:).

Its hard to describe but its like a small set of keys quietly rattling, and it seems to get louder and faster with revs! Doesn't sound too healthy and I am worried its going to go bang! :( I'm starting to think that the previous noise was to do with something bigger rather than the brand new cat I put on it! :(

Does anyone know what the problem could be/how to fix it?

Any helps would be appreciated guys!!

Thanks for reading!

RB clio 182
Most probably the cat to manifold fitting.

Have a look under the car at the bit where the cat joins to the manifold.

Prod the the two springs a bit and see if they move about and you will be able to tell if its that.

I had the same sound and this is what it was.

Racing Blue 182
Most probably the cat to manifold fitting.

Have a look under the car at the bit where the cat joins to the manifold.

Prod the the two springs a bit and see if they move about and you will be able to tell if its that.

I had the same sound and this is what it was.

OK, thanks. I will have a look at that tonight and see if I think its that!

If you want me to cast an eye over it, I can do, I'm based in glastonbury..

It sounds like it could be the cat-manifold joint not done correctly.

I will check tonight and see if it is that, if it is then I might take you up in that offer Dan, where in Glastonbury are you?

Is there anything else it could be? As my mate (who is an actual mechanic) fitted the cat for me and I trust him 100% (although he might have been having a bad day). It couldn't be a broken manifold or something could it? As that is what came up in conversation about the last noise I had!

Thanks again for your replies guys!

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I had a similar noise when my new exhaust was fitted. It was the join between the cat and exhaust (cat back). Bracket tightened up and wallop, noise gone.

RS Clio 182
Hi, did anyone find a solution to this problem. I seem to be having the same if not a very similar issue. The metallic vibrating seemed to be coming from the back but it's so hard to tell, so I changed some of the heat shield washers to see if that helped. So luck so far. The only other (maybe useful) information is that there looks like there are some small scratches on the top of the exhaust stock tips.
Hope someone can help :smile:
Cheers.