ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Please - Leaking Exhaust Joint

I've fitted a Klarius back box today to my 172. The joint to the middle pipe is an overfit (with two slots down the sides) so I couldnt use the original clamp, so used a U clamp instead.

After putting it on and tightening the clamp, it was blowing. Took it to a local exhaust place who had a look and said I had overtightened the clamp and that the new back box was pretty much ruined :S

Can anyone suggest a fix for this ? Maybe a different type of clamp or some sealant ?

Would appreciate any help. Im working on the car in the street outside my house and am by no means an expert ! Cheers

421 Cammed 172
Can you get any pics up so we know how bad the damage to it is?

Chances are its not ruined as badly as you think and can be rescued.

ok, this obvioulsy isnt my exhaust, but a good example :

2zg83s4.jpg

If you imagine that the clamp was positioned on the end of the pipe and tightened so the slots have narrowed at the end of the pipe but left a hole at the other end. The guy at the exhasut place said that this was where it was blowing.

When I first fitted it, it was blowing, so I assumed the clamp wasnt tight enough. I get the feeling I was never gonna get a tight seal using the U clamp alone. I take it my mistake was the position of the clamp ?

Right, I am coming to the end of my tether with this piece of cr@p !

Got some Mikalor clamps and it is still blowing. There is loads of play in the joint with the middle pipe due to the lack of support from the rear bracket. Its like the back box is swinging in the breeze.

Id be interested to hear if anyone has managed to get one of these exhausts to fit properly.

Other than that, anyone know where I can get a stainless system fitted this week in the North West ?