ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help - ph2 172 engine transplant won't start

I'll try and remember everything...

ECU has been converted to 'free running' by ECU Clinic. I'm using the 172 engine loom, and ECU, in the R67 connector I've connected:

white 1 - starter +
white 2 - ign switch position 2 (12V)
white 3 - fuel pump
white 6 - ign switch position 1 (12V)
white 7 - gnd for starter relay

blue 1-6 - throttle pedal

black 2 - alt light
black 5 - oil pressure light
black 8 - CAN-
black 9 - CAN+

When I switch the ignition on I can hear/feel the fbw throttle singing.

The fuel pump/ignition relay doesn't energise - if I pull the ecu line down the pump runs.

I've checked for gnd on ecu pins 3,28,33,67

I've checked for 12V on ecu pin30

I've checked for switched 12v on ecu pins 29 and 66

I have an Ebay elm327 obd reader, and using EasyOBDii software, it connects, and says the "vehicle data bus OK", but says "no vehicle response / connection or power" however I can hear a relay clicking away as it tries to connect.

any idea what's missing? or what else I should check?

thanks
Andy

anyone local with a PH2 172 fancy trying this ECU in their car? I'm going to ring ECU clinic tomorrow as it's showing all the signs of still being locked :( Looking bad for getting it to Mallory on Saturday :(

We have had bad bad things from the ECU clinic...

I had a 1.4 map on my 172 ecu, and matteh had some other 2.0 file, completely the wrong one...

I have a feeling all 172 ecu's they have touched have the wrong file on them, and they dont acctually have the correct ones so try and get around it in the 172's case...

Wrong map/software could cause the faults you mentioned I guess...when I phoned them to complain they just tried to fob me off, and said send it to us again and we will fix it....I didnt have the time to wait 2 weeks for them to turn it around, so bought an emulator, fitted it myself and reset the ECU. never had a problem since...

Also...if the immobiliser is active, the fuel pump should prime...it will just not let the injectors fire or fuel pump run when cranking...I had those symptoms when my ECU was still locked

I went to ecu clinic when James was having problems, and your car was running, it was after that when your problems emerged and James sorted his out :(

Thing is the PH2 isn't like the PH1 with regards to the immobiliser, I think it's on the CAN bus rather than a dedicated signal line. I don't believe your emulator would work on a PH2, unfortunately I don't know what would....

Ahhh, damn.

Yeah I think it does run through the CAN, although, do you know if the immobiliser runs on pin58 of the ECU on a PH2?

basically dosent the CAN (and UCH in a ph1) provides that pin with an 'unlock' signal once the immobiliser is de-activated? hence allowing the car to start?

If so...all the emulator is doing is faking the unlock signal to pin 58, allowing it to start? The ECU side of the process on a Ph2 may be the same as a Ph1, but the immobiliser side different....so it wouldnt make a difference?

ah....not good :(

sorry cant be of any help to the problem!

Another note: If anyone finds this thread searching for ECU Clinic...please avoid them!!!!

bummer, if the ECU had turned up sooner I'd have tried it on the donor car, as it was I had to pull the engine out and start the swap. I think the quickest way to find out is going to be to find a PH2 to try it on.

having gone through everything I can think of I'm pretty close to giving up on the PH2.

So, do you have, or know anyone with everything I need to convert to PH1, which is as far as I know:

ECU - ideally with decoder module doohicky
Engine Loom
Plenum
Throttle body
Idle speed valve

errm, and probably loads of other stuff

I'm dragging this out a bit... since the weather was Ok today I spent a couple of hours trying things.

ECU Clinic sent me 2 ECUs to try a while ago, one marked DEL and one marked CLR, this relates to the immobiliser, as far as I can tell my previous attempt was with a CLR, and the DEL should work.

To get a better understanding of what's going on I bought an RSTuner.

I wanted to get the code out of the ECUs before I started, so that was today's job...

I've got the ECU connected, the fbw throttle works, the RSTuner connects, although I have to manually put a 172 VIN in. The RSTuner shows the current ECU information (software 6400_5E01 ??), shows DTCs, live data. It won't let me clear any errors 15total, some present, some in memory. It doesn't seem to let me test any actuators, and it won't let me read the ECU or CAL.

I've got the battery on charge overnight, so should hopefully be able to try and start with both ECUs.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong with the RSTuner?

thanks
Andy

I had to enter a VIN manually too...

But with regards to the RSTuner stuff not working that happened to me when the RSTuner wasnt locked/activated for that specific ECU....it would connect and show the ECU info/data but not let you do anything (clear data/write/read cals) until I got the unlock code from Henk

I had to enter a VIN manually too...

But with regards to the RSTuner stuff not working that happened to me when the RSTuner wasnt locked/activated for that specific ECU....it would connect and show the ECU info/data but not let you do anything (clear data/write/read cals) until I got the unlock code from Henk

ahhh, that makes sense, I've just found the unlock VCI bit in "about":eek:

does the unlock work for a specific ECU, or VIN? Having a couple of ECUs sat here, and a strong likelihood that I'll be swapping over to phase 1 makes me think I may end up having to get more than one licence :(

think I might just see if it'll start before I go unlocking to an ECU, even if it locks to a VIN I'll probably need to use a PH1 VIN when I swap the bits over.

Goes off the VIN afaik...the VIN I entered into mine when RSTuner asked for it wasnt even the proper one (ie. the car the ECU came from)...I just typed that 'example' CB0M one in that is on the popup box lol!