ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed with smell under bonnet!

Clio 200 Silverstone
Hi, i seem to have a burning smell coming from around the belt area of the engine. I've checked the belts for wear etc but in perfect condition. I have a feeling it maybe to do with the material they seem to have put to the side of the belts catching on the belts, as the smell is pretty instant after starting up. Has anyone else heard or had this issue? If so how did you resolve it?

Cheers

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Hi mate, right tensioned belts can't slack sideways only a bit the radial way.. if you look close with a light can't you see something too near ? maybe some pastic thing broken or out of place hanging badly..
:) and...which car? 182 ?

Clio 200 Silverstone
Yea thats why thought something had come loose, had the drivers wheel off and checked around but can't see any loose pipes/tubes etc. the only thing that has movement is this black material that seems way to close to the belts. Theres not really any plastic around the belts for this reason I imagine. Yes sorry it's a 182

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Yea thats why thought something had come loose, had the drivers wheel off and checked around but can't see any loose pipes/tubes etc. the only thing that has movement is this black material that seems way to close to the belts. Theres not really any plastic around the belts for this reason I imagine. Yes sorry it's a 182

can you take a pic of that material? I'm thinking bout my car/engine which at the end is almost same as yours but near the aux belts on one side i got metal frame ad a little more far away there is a part of the mudguard inside wheel well , on the other i got engine and in a litte portion of belt travel the cambelt plastic cover..

Clio 200 Silverstone
It looks like a carpet material right between the belts and the engine mount. It's the material that covers the back of your engine bay as you look at it from the front. But as Riley mentioned the alternator sounds like a strong possibility unfortunately :(

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
mmmm no motivation for the carpet to be there!! maybe a part of rear engine bay carpet broken and went there?! Aren't you able to "understand" the kind of smell? burning rubber has a slightly different smell from typical electric burning stuff.. :) if the belt is touching something till get hot you'll expect a burnout like smell...