ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed identifying engine mounts and dogbone fitting

Cliosport 182 FF
Evening all, following on from this thread where I'm trying to identify why there's so much engine vibration rattling through my car.... I've taken some pictures of my engine mounts - I'm fairly sure that the dog bone is powerflex but can anyone identify the other two for me? It would also be nice to get some opinions on whether the dog bone mount has been fitted correctly or not - I've seen a lot of different opinions on here about whether on the gearbox end, the large part of the bush should be facing upwards or downwards.... could this be causing the vibration problems? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

CIMG1450.JPGCIMG1454.JPGCIMG1455.JPGCIMG1456.JPG

Dogbone is fitted correctly and as j said other mounts are k-tec uprated ones and they are considerably harder compound over the O.E mounts so yes you will get a fair bit of vibration.

Plus they may need to be aligned properly.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah powerflex is the purple one. if you dont like the others I'll have em! My upper g/box one is pooped

Cliosport 182 FF
Thanks guys, is the best way to realign them slack them off a bit (supporting the engine if course) and then re-tightening?

Cliosport 182 FF
yeah powerflex is the purple one. if you dont like the others I'll have em! My upper g/box one is pooped

TBH I'm still undecided about them. My main concern is finding out if they're fitted properly and there's nothing I can do to improve the situation... It does handle brilliantly so it's probably just me not being used to the car.

BMW 535d
I run these on my Williams and have ZERO vibration. In fact they are so good along with the lower gearbox mount and ploybushed dog bone I would say to anybody to do it.

Even with the turbo there is no knocking

Cliosport 182 FF
Ok so it sounds like my options are: realign them, if through vibration doesn't get better replace them with oem or powerflex.

BMW 535d
Check for obvious things like the exhaust slightly touching something under the chassis or something wedged under a mount. I once has a pas pipe rubbing between the gearbox mount and battery tray and made a hell of a rattle

Lionel Richie
:rasp: think i'm getting old, but when you can't see out of the rear view mirror because it makes your vision go blurred i'd say they're a bit hard!

BMW 535d
I couldnt disagree more. Cant see how they differ from OEM apart from the fact they will clearly last longer.

End of the day its just a hard lump of rubber, better build quality and less rubber to move around. I.E. they wont tear or soften surely

It must be a case of bad fitment. The actual aftermarket mounts are nigh on the same thing. Mine are bloody perfect.

Hi five ktec

Cliosport 182 FF
Having read the various replies I can't wait to get outside and try to sort my k-tec mounts out (well, it's raining and dark so maybe I can wait a while!). There seems to be such a difference of opinion!

Cliosport 182 FF
Finally had a crack at realigning my engine mounts yesterday, didn't think it had made much difference to begin with... But having driven the car for a bit they've settled right down and although they're not perfect, they're a lot better than they were! :)

It no longer feels like I'm constantly on a massage chair!

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Guys, what does the dog bone do?

And how easy are all of the mounts to be replaced? Simple bolt off, new one in and bolt again or more complicated?