ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*HELP NEEDED* Decat exhaust question

Superleggera'd MK3
Hi,

Okay the problem is, I was driving and my service/engine management light came on. Took it to a garage, they said it was a fault with the CAT efficiency.....however I have a decat exhaust apparantly (didnt know this) as it was fitted before I bought it.

He said he managed to clear the fault but the chances are the lights will reappear which is expected if u have a decat exhaust. So no point in replacing the sensors. I was also worried about the fact that it will probs fail an upcoming MOT with a decat and asked how much to add the CAT back in (which i dont actually own) and he said renault are charging £420 for this which he said is a complete rip off.

So in the short term, its not a problem as my car isnt broken lol but i need to probably get something sorted before the MOT. Would a remap sort this or is there anything else i could do....possibly second hand CAT etc? Any help would be much appreciated as im lost with these sorts of issues.

Car: 2008 Renault Clio Mk3 1.2 TCE.

Second hand cat. I picked one up for 50 quid on here 6 months back.

Swap it over come MOT time and then back again after.

Too much hassle for me personally so I've purchased a sports cat.

Superleggera'd MK3
Cheers, do you know if it has to be a paricular size etc? Or does it depend on the brand/setup of your exhaust? Havent a clue what he has done with the exhaust lol i know it was originally a powerflow exhaust. How much did a sports cat cost you? and whats the benefits of that (sorry for all the nooby questions)

I'm not sure what you need for your car sorry mate. Ideally you just want to find someone with the same car who is selling their standard cat to replace it with a decat or sports cat.

Or maybe try RSC Europe to see if they have a second hand cat in stock for you car. Not sure how much it will be though.

I got a Milltek sports cat for £310 delivered. It's a little more free flowing than the standard cat but it still passes an MOT emission test. I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of switching it over come MOT time. Plus the tiny risk of being stopped by a copper and him trying to find something to do me for.

Superleggera'd MK3
Would like to get a sports cat, dont think i can afford that atm though :( what difference would it make if i managed to get a standard cat back on the car? Just a bit quieter?

ITB BG 182
Find some one local who is friends with an MOT tester. Otherwise find some one who is willing to sell you their old cat and then get it replaced.

Superleggera'd MK3
Do you know if they are a standard size no matter what current system you have installed?

I'm not sure. But I think with most sports cats, you need to make sure you have the same make cat-back system too.

When I ordered mine. Milltek had to check that I had a cat-back system to fit it too.

Superleggera'd MK3
Lol just been to my local garage and renault quoted + vat and fitting.....577 quid to replace the cat and sensors :( f*ck that!!!

The bloke also mentioned if i replace with a second hand cat, and not replace my sensors it could damage the cat...dunno what to do really, everything seems expensive!

Dont think i know any mot'ers and not sure they advertise that they are leniant on google :(

Superleggera'd MK3
Also, this is a long shot but, i bought the car from a dealership and got 3 months warranty. The advert never stated about the car having a decat exhaust (which is an mot fail in most cases) and i have a few days left on the warranty.....anyone know if there is anyway i can wangle some of the cost onto them?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Contact them and tell them..ask what they can do to help you.

They might try and say that you have fitted it after buying the car though!