ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed about 2 boxes

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
I am stripping the interior at the moment and wondered what these two boxes are and can I get rid of them ?
I know they are linked with the seats but will be running race seats.
I don't want the seat belt light on, air bag light on and I don't want it to beep at me all the time haha as well it needs to pass an MOT so the dash lights need to come on and go off
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG

Any help will be great thank you
Ben

Clio 220 PH2
silver one is the air bag unit and the black one is yaw sensor, part of the traction control
Thank you very much does the yaw sensor have to stay where it is or can I move it to hide it behind the dash ?
By me taking the air bag one out its not going to cause me too much trouble is it ?
Thank you

Thank you very much does the yaw sensor have to stay where it is or can I move it to hide it behind the dash ?
By me taking the air bag one out its not going to cause me too much trouble is it ?
Thank you

The airbag module will leave the service light on the dash lit, I used a little timer to control the warning light, on with the ignition and goes out after 3 seconds, moving the yaw sensor will keep the system fault free but may screw up the operation of the traction control......if you ever use it :)

Clio 220 PH2
The airbag module will leave the service light on the dash lit, I used a little timer to control the warning light, on with the ignition and goes out after 3 seconds, moving the yaw sensor will keep the system fault free but may screw up the operation of the traction control......if you ever use it :smile:
Thank you very much :) that's a really good idea do you have any pictures of how you did it ?
Well it's off when I am on the track and to be fair I just leave it on for the road I might see if I can hide it where it sits in a nice neat way :)

Clio 172
Technically if you just take the airbag light out or dismantle the clocks and cover with tape so you can't see it light up, it can't fail on an mot just advise that it doesn't come on where you suspect airbags are fitted at the most. As for TCS/ABS light that will fail as doesn't fall under the same rule.
As for the yaw sensor (the black one) it'll have to be mounted to a horizontal surface to work correctly and probably best to just leave it connected.

Clio 220 PH2
Technically if you just take the airbag light out or dismantle the clocks and cover with tape so you can't see it light up, it can't fail on an mot just advise that it doesn't come on where you suspect airbags are fitted at the most. As for TCS/ABS light that will fail as doesn't fall under the same rule.
As for the yaw sensor (the black one) it'll have to be mounted to a horizontal surface to work correctly and probably best to just leave it connected.
Thank you very much I have been doing some thinking and I am going to leave the yaw sensor where it is and just get rid of the air bag box :) and try and remove the wiring for the air bag. This is going to be a stupid question but by me removing that air bag box it will be a waste of time me putting a resistor in where the air bag connects to the steering wheel won't it ?
Thank you

Clio 172
If your removing the airbag ecu, there is absolutely no point putting a resistor in. As you've got bucket seats you're missing the pre tensioner and side airbags so very pointless. If you intended to keep the ecu then yes it's worth fitting resistors in place of all that. But your next plan of action is take the top half of the dash off, about 10 screws, remove the clocks and have a go at getting the bulb out for the airbag or remove the clear front and stick some tape over the light so it doesn't get picked up on an mot.

Imo definitely leave the yaw sensor in and preferably in the same position. As it feeds back info the the TCS module it may also effect the steering angle sensor and any vehicle speed info. Not worth removing unless you intended to go full abs block strip and put a bias valve in. I don't think it's worth getting rid of the TCS/ABS for the hassle, just remove the fuse or turn it off on a track day.

Hope that helps

Clio 172
On a note to that, maybe extend the wiring and mount it to the floor under the seat on the floor pan. Hidden and will still operate correctly for road. Then come track day turn off or remove the fuse for it to be fully inoperative. VAG cars have them mounted either under the steering wheel by the pedal box or on the passenger foot well...only problem with that is its the first area to hold water if you get a leak... Maybe Renault idea infront of the handbrake is a sensible place haha

Clio 220 PH2
If your removing the airbag ecu, there is absolutely no point putting a resistor in. As you've got bucket seats you're missing the pre tensioner and side airbags so very pointless. If you intended to keep the ecu then yes it's worth fitting resistors in place of all that. But your next plan of action is take the top half of the dash off, about 10 screws, remove the clocks and have a go at getting the bulb out for the airbag or remove the clear front and stick some tape over the light so it doesn't get picked up on an mot.

Imo definitely leave the yaw sensor in and preferably in the same position. As it feeds back info the the TCS module it may also effect the steering angle sensor and any vehicle speed info. Not worth removing unless you intended to go full abs block strip and put a bias valve in. I don't think it's worth getting rid of the TCS/ABS for the hassle, just remove the fuse or turn it off on a track day.

Hope that helps
Thats what i will do get rid of the air bag module and remove the light. The dash is already out so i will find the wiring loom and bulb and get it out :)
Thank you very much for the help it greatly appreciated.
I will have a look at the yaw sensor because for the hassle of moving it and what can happen i might leave it in place and put a nice console over it to fit around the handbrake as well make it look clean :)
I will put pictures up what i end up doing :)

Thank you again
Ben

Clio 182
I'm pretty sure the light has to come on for MOT then go out again.
No light at all means a fail.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Clio 220 PH2
I'm pretty sure the light has to come on for MOT then go out again.
No light at all means a fail.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.
I am not sure i will ask at the garage today see what they say. I have also heard that a track car is MOTed differently to a normal car but I am not sure if you have to tell VOSA ?

Clio 172
I'm an mot tester and can tell you most stuff off the top of my head and what I don't I can get from the manual. If the airbag light isn't illuminated on an mot test then the most you can do is advise.
That rule doesn't apply for the abs/tsc

The mot test is favoured massively towards the customer and not the garage. If there's not a reason for failure in the manual, you can't fail, only advise. I was always told on courses and refreshers to find a reason to pass a car, so I consider myself very fair.

As for track cars. They are tested no different to any other vehicle on the road, just the rules as I said are favoured towards the customer. It's just a very basic road worthy test, a scrap car could pass.

For example your clio, if it had seat sliders on the drivers side, they must work as 'as intended' but if you have bucket seats which are rigid then they're not intended to slide, so you can't fail... That's just an example

Clio 220 PH2
I'm an mot tester and can tell you most stuff off the top of my head and what I don't I can get from the manual. If the airbag light isn't illuminated on an mot test then the most you can do is advise.
That rule doesn't apply for the abs/tsc

The mot test is favoured massively towards the customer and not the garage. If there's not a reason for failure in the manual, you can't fail, only advise. I was always told on courses and refreshers to find a reason to pass a car, so I consider myself very fair.

As for track cars. They are tested no different to any other vehicle on the road, just the rules as I said are favoured towards the customer. It's just a very basic road worthy test, a scrap car could pass.

For example your clio, if it had seat sliders on the drivers side, they must work as 'as intended' but if you have bucket seats which are rigid then they're not intended to slide, so you can't fail... That's just an example
That sounds good to me mate thank you very much for the advice :) I removed the airbag box and all the wiring from it tonight I just haven't got to the clutster yet because we ended up eating pizza for a while and ran out of time haha
You have been a big help thank you very much I would of ended up leaving it in place and making it look messy in the cab thank you very much :)