ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help my car has issues ! !

silver 172 ff
hello

right we shall start at the begining my car is an 02 ff172 the inner drivers side cv boot was completly knackered so i got a new shaft and fitted this on friday and all was fine relativly easy job no problems put it all back to gether without any issues. then tonight i went into a sharp left hand bend at a bit of speed and there is a nocking almost like the cv joint has gone but this is a new shaft. you can feel it nocking but if you are ouside or have the window open you cant hear it.

im wondering what it could be any opinions would be welcome only happens when going round in tight left hand circle at a little bit of speed does not happen when going in a right hand circle. could it be a cv joint on the passenger side(the shaft i have not replaced)?

could i have done something wrong in fitting the drivers side d/s?
could it be the wheel bearing?
could i have disturbed something when fitting the d/s?
could i need to pack some more cv grease into the boot?
should i wait to something breaks then i know what the problem is?

any suggestions please i only got the car about a month ago and all the little niggily things are starting to cost a fortune. oh yea and its not the wheel bolts not being tight ive done that one before lol.

cheers David

silver 172 ff
yea it was exactly the same. it deffinatly was not 10 mm shorter.

or at least im pretty sure not. would that give me these symptoms.

just been doing a search and read about the strut top knocking issues could this be a possibility?

silver 172 ff
it is made by shafttek and it was R218AR shafteck are the only only ones that made the shaft. i got one before this one that was for the phase one 172's but obvioulsy got it changed for this one.

also continuing the search ive noticed bottom ball joint mentioned could tis be it lol?

www.renparts.co.uk
it is made by shafttek and it was R218AR shafteck are the only only ones that made the shaft. i got one before this one that was for the phase one 172's but obvioulsy got it changed for this one.

also continuing the search ive noticed bottom ball joint mentioned could tis be it lol?

ball joint usually makes a single knock when direction of force is changed on it, unless its very worn. Did you put the driveshaft nut back on? and tighten the caliper up tightly?

LY 182
i had the same problem on a polo that had some accident damage,, noticed the engine mounts were adjusted too far over to the o/s of the car and on hard cornering the engine was leaning on the driveshaft leaving no free play in it.
felt terrible.. like the car was falling to peices.
so yeah, wrong length shaft would do it.

silver 172 ff
right ok had it jacked up and had a good look at it and we cant see anything wrong with it so it appears its only doing it under load.

im going to go back to the place where i bought the shaft from and see what they say when i say its making a noise.

anyone have any other suggestions?

silver 172 ff
right i still have no idea im losing my mind over it now any ideas. best way to describe it is it feels like going over cat's eyes when turing left.

someone must know!