ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Clio 172 Mk2

Hello people!!

Straight to the point... I am in need of a car (approx £6500) and there arent many true hot hatches available at that price.

But trawling thru the AutoTrader, I have seen Clio 172s around at low mileage (30-50,000). Cars are built mostly in 2000.

Now the dilemma is this. These cars are all Mk1 172s. Now I am wondering if there is much difference in between Mk1s and Mk2s. Cosmetic differences aside (wheels /front /body panels /dashboard) what other differences are there? Engine differences? Suspension differences?? Handling? Build quality???

I am certain that there are differences which account for the price differences (second hand) between Mk1s and 2s.

Should I get a Mk1 now, or save a bit more for a Mk2 hoping that I dont get knocked down by a bus and miss out altogether! Ideally I need a car VERY SOON as my Pug is terminally ill!

Thats it basically! If there is anyone out there who is willing to spare me some time and advice, then I would be very grateful!

i was thinking of getting a mrk 1, but in the end i stretched to a cup. I really like the look of the mrk 1 and i know there are a lot of people on here that reckon they are the mutts nutts! Am i right in thinking they were slightly quicker to 60? I do remember reading reviews that when the mark2 came out they thought it had gone a bit soft compared to the mark1.

Its a good car and still looks good. All of the above is IMHO of course!

Clio 172 Mk2

Cheers for the responses so far!!! I would actually go so far as to say that the Mk1 looks better. Where the Mk1 loses is the lack of Xenon headlamps, and the dashboard.

My main criteria is handling. Being a Pug 306 driver, Im pretty spoilt! Anyone out here that can tell me what the differences are in terms of actual driving? And reliability issues.. anything to watch out for?

ALL replies are very much appreciated!

Clio 172 Mk2

Are the rattles really that bad? I hate rattles - they annoy the fcuk outta me in my Pug! But... if the rest of the car makes up for it... what the hell!

Camel

Mrk 1 172 0-60 6.8

Mrk 2 172 0-60 6.9

Cup 0-60 6.7

Got a Mrk 1 and its amazing, think its alot more agressive looking than the mrk2 and cup. Bn in a cup and think the mrk 1 is miles better, but thats just my opinion. Bad points with mrk 1 is alloys get them off and get 17s on straight away.

Mini Cooper S sport

I like the Mark 1s, and I dont see many of them around at all - if you get it, I assure you itll be fast though!