ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me decide...!

172 cup
Hi everyone,
I was thinking about getting a new car, but realised there’s no other car in the price range that I’d prefer... so thinking about tweaking the cup to get a new feel!
I’m booking in to get matched inlets (upper and lower) and a remap, and can’t decide whether a sports cat would be worth getting at the same time?!
I’ve read arguments for and against, but still can’t decide...! Has anyone had a sports cat fitted after these modifications, and if so was it noticeable?
I’ve already got s/s stealth cat back and a v6 airbox...
Additionally, I’ve already tried the RSTuner route and it’s a no go without changing the airbag module; and I’d prefer to pay out for a new cat opposed to second hand...
Thanks in advance

TrackCar & F30 330d
Matched inlets is a good thing to do. get a decat instead of the sports car. They are cheaper than sports cat and will give you a better power if you get it remaped.

172 cup
Yeah, I was thinking about that... but to be honest I don't want the hassle of changing it for MOTs and would prefer to stay legal!

172 cup
An alternative option would be to get uprated mounts instead of the sports cat...?
I've already got the lower mount poly bushed and don't particularly need to change the others, but sounds like the general consensus is that they’re worth the extra vibration and they'll give a new feel to the old girl...

Any input would be greatly appreciated... I want to get it booked in asap!

172 cup
Could do... but I like them! So you would definitely go for the cat Louise? The mounts would give the car a new feel though, and I'd be a tonne better off...!
Would the remap take into account the cat, or could I just add it later without affecting it?!

172 cup
Fair suggestion, but like I said I don't fancy the risk of buying second hand... chances are it'd be all good, but still!

Does 7bhp for a sports cat sound reasonable or a bit hopeful?!

Mk5 golf gti
i think sports cats are the way forward as i hated my decat especially through the winter as it was smokey and it smells lol
think what your planning should breathe some more fun into your cup though :D

Mk5 golf gti
personally yea....for now anyways
standard cat is s**t imo an decat made me lose 4 mpg an gave me bit of a flat spot dont get me wrong it sounded good and all that but it gets boring lol sports cat is the perfect blend.all my opinion of course :)

172 cup
Can't ask for more than that...! I'm definitely not in it for the sound... quite surprised you lost 4 mpg though!

Da

Less
7 bhp from a sports cat is hopeful in my opinion.

The mods you've listed will give gains but they'll be minimal. Perhaps bigger/better brakes and a superior suspension set up would enable you to drive faster/better?

Have you had your Cup RR'd standard?

172 cup
No, but it will have a before and after result when I get this done...

I'm not after speed as such, just want better low and mid range performance. It's already lowered, and had standard replacement discs and pads a few months ago; so possibily in the future it'll be an option...!

I thought it was hopeful, but combined with the inlets/remap it should be noticeable don't you think?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Almost, but slightly more restrictive.
They're more expensive but will pass an MOT (or should).

I've just got a sports cat on mine last week. Was just wondering how they actually compare to decats. I could see loads more light through the new on compared to the old. Feels like it has a little more mid range power now and its taken the edge off the 5k kick. Seems to have made a subtle improvement to the noise too although that might change for better or worse once it gets a few miles on it. Over all I'm well happy with it for £175 fitted:)

Da

Less
It should be noticeable yeah - just don't do what a lot of people do and add the +bhp figures for each mod together and expect to come out with close to 200bhp ;) lol.

The mods you list will compliment eachother and depending on how good your standard engine is I would expect to see 170-175 bhp at the fly wheel.

Da

Less
I've just got a sports cat on mine last week. Was just wondering how they actually compare to decats. I could see loads more light through the new on compared to the old. Feels like it has a little more mid range power now and its taken the edge off the 5k kick. Seems to have made a subtle improvement to the noise too although that might change for better or worse once it gets a few miles on it. Over all I'm well happy with it for £175 fitted:)

Yeah a sports cat will improve low down torque, as will a decat. Sports cat is more environmentally friendly - less noise and less pollution ;)

172 cup
Ha... I'm not chasing bhp figures, just wondered as an indication of whether or not it'll be noticeable! Having said that I always have wondered about what it was running though!

Da

Less
Roughly, and I mean roughly - 130 to 140 bhp ATW.

So many varying figures banded about it's hard to state a transmission loss, but somewhere around 15/16% seems acceptable from what I've read.