ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Loud Whistling from Windscreen...Advice Needed!

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Hi all,

How we doing?

I'm not entirely sure if other RS's suffer from this problem, but I wanted to ask you guys anyway for clarification; so anyway, when gunning it towards 100 mph (on my private runway) a loud whistle can be heard from the left/passenger side of the windscreen; it can only be really explained as a loud whistle (i think?), its like air/wind is making this horrific noise as its hitting the car, perhaps getting under the windscreen seal? Sometimes you cannot hear the noise/whistle, but my thoughts are that on those days it might not be particularly windy? Other times it will happen around 90 mph? Never heard it below that speed, so surely it's dependant on how fast you're travelling. :S

Told Renault about it but they're not willing to drive that fast in order to diagnose the problem. :dapprove:

I'm just cautious as my warranty runs out over the next couple of months.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks, Tys.

172cup
plastic runner on top left hand corner of windscreen.... push it back down and glue in place

as common as jarvis cocker

Lux'd Glacier White R26
LMAO, that easy to sort then? Lift the seal up, superglue down (perhaps), and hold for a while?

Thanks if this will sort it...

Tys.

172cup
yeah as your car twists and turns the plastic runner on the lhs windscreen goes up and up and up until the point it whistles like buggery.

Happens to every ph2 iirc

Liquid Yellow 182
Mate I had exactly the same problem, Renault refused to take it to those speeds due to insurance reasons so i kicked up a fuss and ended up driving it myself with the manager in the passenger seat.

They took it in and resealed the windscreen under warranty.

Tell them you plan to take it out on the track so you will be taking it to high speeds and they have to deal with it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Mate I had exactly the same problem, Renault refused to take it to those speeds due to insurance reasons so i kicked up a fuss and ended up driving it myself with the manager in the passenger seat.

They took it in and resealed the windscreen under warranty.

Tell them you plan to take it out on the track so you will be taking it to high speeds and they have to deal with it.

Only cos we wanted Rid of you.........:rasp:

182 Full Fat
For months I have has this trouble and wondered what is was. I assumed because I had an open Induction kit fitted, and it was the wind blowing over it (like when you blow over a bottle) I will take a look at this tonight. Is it this bit of the seal? Sorry about cr*p pic

Attachments

• cliowindscreen.jpeg
    cliowindscreen.jpeg
    4.2 KB · Views: 181
  Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ I believe so mate, and from what has been said above, it happens to all Mk2....

Can i simply say to Renault that i want them to reseal the windscreen seal?

Tys.

182 Full Fat
I think Im gonna glue it it down. It'll do as a temporary measure. I suspect I may need a new windscreen soon as I had a stone chip repaired, but it has started to grow again! :(

This is classic Renault quality with this seal, I don't know why it is fastened down properly, its just the corner bit that flaps in the breeze!

Liquid Yellow 182
Can i simply say to Renault that i want them to reseal the windscreen seal?

Tys.

I would just tell them that you've spoken to other people who have had the same problem and you're sure that's what the issue is. They've got to do something, they can't just say they'll do nothing about it because they aren't prepared to drive at that speed. Like I said tell them you plan on taking it to track days.

If they moan again about not wanting to drive it above the speed limit do what i did and offer to take them out and you'll drive.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I had this problem - don't glue it down, if it ever needs to come off it'll bring paint with it! I just put black silicone sealant on it from halfords then taped it down with blue masking tape (the 3M stuff bodyshops use, doesn't damage the paint) overnight. Take the tape off, pick off any silicone that's run out with a fingernail, job done. Silicone will hold it but is easy to remove later if need be.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^ Wouldn't mind seeing/reading that. My car is going in on the 10 march 2007 to have this problem, and other issues hopefully sorted.

Tys.