ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help i have really spongey brakes

clio sport 172
Hello. This is probably a really stupid question. I pulled off the drive this morning and my brake pedal were rock hard. Then half way to work they suddenly became very spongey and will slow me down but no good if i needed to suddenly stop. There is no warning lights etc on the dash though. Just been out round the car park again and they seem sort of nearly ok for a while then they hav gone spongey again. Coukd this mean they need bleeding and new fluid puttibg in or should there be a light on the dash when the fluid is low? Thankyou

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Might be some air in the system. Has it started all of a sudden? or has it been getting gradually worse?

I'd start with a fluid change.

clio sport 172
No havent checked the fluid yet mate, i will be able to do it on my lunch. How much would you pay for a garage to bleed and re do the brakes? Thankyou

Renault Clio 172 cup
As mentioned the vacuum pipe can sometimes touch on something hot and get a little hole burnt in it which causes these symptoms. Look at the rear of the engine in the middle ( you can sometimes hear a little hissing noise coming from it if its got a hole in it ), there should be a pipe just to the left ( i think ) of where the speedo sensor pushes in . Easy fix, just get some more pipe of the same type and repair/replace.