ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help I’m an idiot sounds like diesel

clio sport
Long story, finish putting Clio back together after probably 3-4 years I’ve had engine/gearbox out, cambelt and dephaser water pump . Gearbox selector seal, clutch, bushes plus a few mods along the way ! Removed air con etc. It started fine and sounded sweet as, put all the plastics back,bumpers, headlamps all finished.
Then I did something stupid I tried starting it with the wrong key I kept trying it and trying it till battery went flat not realising. took petrol pump out and tested on battery then I realised I had wrong key.
Charged battery put other key in primed pump a few times started and sounded like a diesel, big puff of blue smoke, plus idling lumpy finally died now won’t start and doesn’t sound the same when turning over my fear is it’s fucked any suggestions where to start

It was fine and now it’s not, distraught...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clio sport
I had a thought it would be timing related took the cover off and belt was still tight, I have drove it you would have thought it would have moved then not when I was starting it up?

I'm guessing the best thing to do would be to get the cambelt cover off and check the timing marks line up as they should?

(I would say 'turn the engine over by hand until the timing marks are lined up, or not', but I don't understand how this is done, given you can hold an entire car on a 45 degree hill with the engine and handbrake off but the car in gear, so how can us weedy humans rotate an engine by hand?? lol)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm guessing the best thing to do would be to get the cambelt cover off and check the timing marks line up as they should?

(I would say 'turn the engine over by hand until the timing marks are lined up, or not', but I don't understand how this is done, given you can hold an entire car on a 45 degree hill with the engine and handbrake off but the car in gear, so how can us weedy humans rotate an engine by hand?? lol)
Take the spark plugs out and turn the crank bolt with a ratchet.

clio sport
Checked tipex marks out by three teeth, looked round belt and found stone embedded in belt! Took rocker cover off all the valves sittinglevel and they all push down and spring up so think I might have been lucky!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Checked tipex marks out by three teeth, looked round belt and found stone embedded in belt! Took rocker cover off all the valves sittinglevel and they all push down and spring up so think I might have been lucky!

So you didn't use the correct tools?

And if you haven't got them then the timing will always be out.

clio sport
Yeah I was just checking before I ripped it all apart put the crankshaft pin in the stone must have made it jump teeth until it stopped gutted

clio sport
Yes cut the belt off as it had hole in it. being lent a compression tester tomorrow I assume as valves are all sitting up now should be quite simple ?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
You’ll need to put the cams back in and belt back on or it won’t be sucking in any air to compress

dan's cast offs.
you can do a leakdown test but if the stems have a double bend then they can still seal ok but not open anywhere near enough.

as a rule if it's out far enough to not start then you've done valves.

clio sport
I was wondering if I could do a leak test here’s a picture of how far out it was, what do you think?
ba0d516a9c5d569f49a782fffba707d2.jpg

clio sport
I done leak down test and as air was rushing out the inlet manifold with no cams in I would have a guess they are bent. Now what to do, engine, head or bin the lot!

Clio 182 FF
Take the head off and replace any valve that's hit a piston. You'll see the witness marks. Even if they look straight always replace a valve that's hit. Check the guides carefully to see if any are cracked or worn. Should be the best solution.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I done leak down test and as air was rushing out the inlet manifold with no cams in I would have a guess they are bent. Now what to do, engine, head or bin the lot!
Buying the correct timing tools would be a start. You can NOT use tipex on these engines.

But you are better off buying a good engine.

clio sport
I used the proper Renault timing tools, I did the timing with the engine out to the Renault workshop manual and in the manual it’s says put tipex on turn it over make sure they are in the same place. The only reason the timing jumped is a stone was embedded in the belt.

clio sport
Yeah I had driven it I had just put all the bumper, plastic trim headlamps etc must have fallen off something. I’m on a gravel drive and it gets everywhere must have fallen off something I had picked up, if you look in pic you can just see where it came through the belt
11c4a4c87a84787bc4412382c3d5b183.jpg