ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help grease everywhere!!!

clio 172
I am a noob but I stumbled across this on my car an even i can tell its not right.
its the driverside drive shaft. just wondering does the whole thing need replacing or just the rubber piece or is there anyway to do a temporary fix. cheers
IMG_2024.jpg

clio 172 phase 2
Depends how long its been split for really, drive shafts have a constant velocity joint inside them hence Cv joint. they rely on grease to keep them running smooth, if there is a knocking noise when you go round bends etc, chances are they cv is knackered, cv boots can be a pig to fit so in the past ive just fitted new shafts depending on price.

Clio 172
You can get a boot that's split down the middle and it glues in place, but tbh they are sh1t and don't really work.
If the boots been like that for a while chances are it knackered anyway so new cv joint for you I'm afraid. I've changed them on other cars without a lot of hassle but you relay need the right tools to get bits apart (heat helps loads)

Its about 4 13mm bolts, to remove the cage that holds the shaft, then undo the hub nut, and i think i losened the suspension strut to give me enough room.

No "special" tools needed, and something you can change yourself.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
that joint cannot have the boot replaced unfortunately, parts not available. Reconditioned shaft from renault is your best option

53 Clio 1.2 16v
You can try sealing it with some silicone sealer if the hole aint too big, just as a temporary thing.