ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Gear oil leaking on 172 Mk2?

I thought it was the engine oil, but actually seem the oil is from the gear box.

Pls see the attached pics. Is there any oil seal on the section I circled in red?? Can I replace it?

And pls help me out with the question on the pics.

Many thanks!

thats normal

Outta curiousity,

How much oil is normal to loose ?

Just a wee amount that can be wiped off with a rag/cloth ?
Or will it drip and be caught in undertray ?

And i've heard as long as the oil is kept topped up all is good :S

The car runs fine. I just had the transmission oil changed too.
In the beginning, I thought it is the engine oil. But actually not.

The undertray is dirty (not that bad before) becos of the oil built up.
Well, it is not that bad as the place where I park my Clio has no oil on the ground.

BTW, does the undertray suppose to have a removable circle shape cover which located at the oil drain area?

The car runs fine. I just had the transmission oil changed too.
In the beginning, I thought it is the engine oil. But actually not.

The undertray is dirty (not that bad before) becos of the oil built up.
Well, it is not that bad as the place where I park my Clio has no oil on the ground.

BTW, does the undertray suppose to have a removable circle shape cover which located at the oil drain area?

The undertray on my 172FF has a removable circle shape cover as well.
This is to enable draining the engine oil without removing the cover.
Although i prefer to remove the cover.

Is your undertray fitted the now ?

If so that'll be why you have no oil spots on the ground, its all being caught in the undertray and that will have to overflow before it spills onto ground.

Oh yes, I got my undertray fitted. And I spend 20 mins just to clean the tray yesterday,
But mine don't have the circle shape cover when I got it on 2004. Hum.... got to keep checking the level.

Can anyone answer me what the tube thing are. I had circled in on red on the 1st post. When my friend do the gear shift, it does go up and down. And the tube are quite oily. Is there anything i can do to stop the oil leak??

clio sport ph1 172
what oil goes in the gearbox? grade etc i need to check my levels as i have a slight leak aswell.

what oil goes in the gearbox? grade etc i need to check my levels as i have a slight leak aswell.

I hope this answers your question mate ;)

gearboxoil.jpg

Taken from here ;)

manual.jpg