ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Battery light + STOP... Alternator?

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Hi,

I'm having no end to the problems on my 182 at the moment!

This morning I got to work fine, no problems, after a half hour run. Went to move it at lunch and the STOP light and the battery light illuminated. Turned it off and on again and it was still there.

Did some reading at lunch and people suggest this sequence means the alternator isn't charging the battery and could be the eyelet connector to the alternator from the battery. This is fine.

When I came to go home this evening, it started up fine but with both lights on still. I get half a mile down the road and can smell burning quite strongly so I pulled into a pub car park to see smoke coming from under the lights. Popped the bonnet and although I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from, the smoke was coming up from the front O/S, alternator area, around where the cross member is.

The smoke smelt like electrical burning, the kind of smell you get when a fuse blows in front of you...

I pulled into a garage, checked the battery and it was only at 11.2V so turned everything electrical off and tried to get home. Once on the motorway at 4000revs, lights were out and burning smell stopped. Only when I came off the motorway and stopped at the end of the slip road did it come on again.

Got home to my drive with light on. While idleing I tried raising the revs a little to 2000 and the lights went out on the dash. Let it idle again and they came straight back on... Sat at 2k, tried switching headlights on and dash lights came back on, raised revs to 3k and they went out again.

So, when the revs are up, the alternator appears to be working, when they drop, it's not and burning something! The more current the car is drawing, the more revs are needed to keep it working.

What could this be? Is the alternator goosed? Or is it an electrical connection to the alternator? How does the alternator earth? Through it's fixings to the block?

Thanks!

172 Race Car
Check the connection (big eyelet) on the actual alternator. Very common to break.

Alternator is earthed through the block so if it cranks it will be ok

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Yeh I checked that and it seems fine. Not broken and tight. Plus it doesn't explain the burning/smoking... the burning seems to be coming from lower down where I can't see. :S

Possibly the reg if you could smell burning, happened to Adams. Replaced the regulator with one from another Mk1 alternator and its been fine since. When you give it some revs and the lights go out, whats the voltage on the battery?

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
I haven't checked mate an can't as I don't have a multimetre :( Should it rise once the lights go out if the alternator is kickin back in?

1.5dci
theres some thing that connects to the battery off the loom, no idea' what its called but mine broke, n was having bad troble with it keeping power - anyroad up it could be that - i fixed mine by wrapping fuse wire round it,. i went to renault, n they said its 'part' of the loom, and to replace it i need a new loom ? ? is this a similar problem .. ?

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Whats that, changing the alternator? What the best way to do it ? Any tips? Light out, bumper off? Rad / Fan out?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Cheers for that useful post! I gathered it was related to that. I think it must be the reg so gonna replace the whole unit at the weekend if I can find one by then.

You asked a question, i gave an answer, if i was a pen pusher you could question it.

J@Y

Clio 182 and CBR 600
Changed the alternator and it's fixed it. Big thanks to Clio spares for sorting me out so quickly!

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Mine did the same two weeks ago, STOP and Battery light came on and didn't go off regardless of revs.

voltage was 11.76 when the car was off, dropping to 10 something when on, limped it to the garage and it needed a new alternator.