ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!!!! ASAP

I am out side trying to sort my headlightd out, i have really messed up and need your help asap!!!

this is what I have done s far

Wet and dry them with 600 untill misty

Polished with a G220 and a yellow pad and plastx

Then Finshed with super resin polish

and they have not come back they are even worse!! they are really fine scratches and they are patchy and with misty bits!!!

please please can some one tell me what to do????

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Go over them with finer, 1200 should get the scratches out, then try polishing them up again

Go over them with finer, 1200 should get the scratches out, then try polishing them up again

what about the murkey paches? they don't polish out? how long before it comes clear with the SRP? I am putting more marks in with the G220?

S4 Avant
Right. Get a bucket of water, some 1200 wet and dry, 2000 wet and dry, and then the next one up from that. Can't remember whether it's 2500 or 3000.

Start with the 1200, that'll be the roughest paper you'll use. You want to use plenty of water, otherwise the dust is going to cause deeper scratches than you want.

Once you've been going over them with 1200 for 5 minutes, start on the next grade up.

Keep going for another 5 minutes and then repeat with the finest sand paper, making sure you use lots of water.

Then when you have a completely smooth but slightly hazey surface, crack out the polish. Start with a cutting pad on a low speed, it's very easy to melt the pad.

Then move onto a polishing pad and polish with a lesser cut to it.

i've done the 1200 grit and its got some of the marks out but the ploish isn't making it clear again?? is still mistey

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You've gotta keep working with finer and finer grades before finishing off with the polish. You started off with paper that would reduce a tree trunk to sawdust in minutes .. it's not going to be easy !!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
So follow the whole set of instructions you were given and not just half of them.

S4 Avant
I've already said what you need to do. You can't go polishing after 1200 grit, expecting them to come clear. You've still got really deep scratches in there.

You need to use finer paper to reduce the size of the deep scratches, then you can polish. Do exactly exactly as I've said and they will come up good again.

well after messing about all day mostly on the headlighs, I thought I would show you how it turned out after all your help.

5339369879_d7fa6e3d98_z.jpg

5339970768_945d43f841_z.jpg

They are not the best but I managed to get them alittle clear, once I get some more wet and dry I'll try again, but not bad for my very first go with the G220.

thanks again for every ones help.

As already stated, you have gone it a bit heavy with 600grit, but hey ho, its done, so now you need to try and fix it.

GEt your self some more grades of paper id suggest 1000, 1500 and 2000, go over the light again, stepping down in grade, then polish with an abrasive (your going to also need something a bit better the SRP, get something like 3M extra fine compound. Are you polishing by hand or machine? by hand is going to be a painful task :dapprove:

Lens restoration, is really something for the more advanced, and as you have already found out, forum guides can some times be missleading.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Nice car mate-

Fire me off a PM when you come to sell it-- Very nice Chariot....

S

As already stated, you have gone it a bit heavy with 600grit, but hey ho, its done, so now you need to try and fix it.

GEt your self some more grades of paper id suggest 1000, 1500 and 2000, go over the light again, stepping down in grade, then polish with an abrasive (your going to also need something a bit better the SRP, get something like 3M extra fine compound. Are you polishing by hand or machine? by hand is going to be a painful task :dapprove:

Lens restoration, is really something for the more advanced, and as you have already found out, forum guides can some times be missleading.

I know, that will make me think again about form guides, I tryed looking for it again to make sure I read it right but can not find the thread anymore? I have bought some menzerna Intensive polish, Power gloss and some Final finish, so I am going to give ago with one of those.

I know, that will make me think again about form guides, I tryed looking for it again to make sure I read it right but can not find the thread anymore? I have bought some menzerna Intensive polish, Power gloss and some Final finish, so I am going to give ago with one of those.

I did ask to have unlocked to edit it/and to it but can't it myself chap. At least you've sorted it. And echo Steves comments about how good the car looks! Thumbs up from this end lad!

Bumder With A Buffer
^^^ "technically" that is kind of correct. Allright it only mentions going up to 1200 grit. Obviously the idea of using the finer is minimizing the scratches and make it easier to remove (I think??)

I have never used over 1500 grade when doing my Clio headlights...on paintwork yes but not on plastic. Just my view

In fact the first time I did mine I just used 1200 grade only (I think) and they came out well...although they were still a bit s**t as mine were REALLY bad.

Went over them again a couple of months later...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?445425-Headlight-Correction&highlight=

I dont think the guide is bad..I blame "user error"

;) ;)

You can't blame the guide for getting it wrong when you never bothered following it properly TBH.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
600 grit??

You may as well have used a file!

At least its sorted now though mate. Well done for determination!

You can't blame the guide for getting it wrong when you never bothered following it properly TBH.

TBH yes he can. I do.

I will get Luke to open it tomorrow when I have more time to edit it.

As Dan's said, at least you've got it sorted. But it does show what utter tripe is posted on forums for unlucky, unsuspecting "have a go"-ers like yourself.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm sorry JD but you're actually wrong for once.

Not being a ph1 owner I wouldn't expect you to understand, but they get in such a state, I had to go back to 600 to get the worst bits out, then 800, 1200, 1500 and 2k.

So there. :p

x

TBH yes he can. I do.

I do agree that I'd never take 600 grit near the headlights, but if used wet and with care it could be taken down the grades and polished back up fine, as the guide shows. Don't follow the steps and it's going to go wrong, simple as that.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Car looks nice, you may have to order some finer wet + Dry online or from a propper bodyshop/ paint supplies.

I'm sorry JD but you're actually wrong for once.

Not being a ph1 owner I wouldn't expect you to understand, but they get in such a state, I had to go back to 600 to get the worst bits out, then 800, 1200, 1500 and 2k.

So there. :p

x

If the ph1's get much much worse than the ones I did recently for 172Ben, then fair enough. But 600 grit is wood sanding territory. I have done around 14 of these, each varied in severity, with Ben's being one of the worst. But that was sorted with 1500, 2k, 3k and a decent machine polish.

Not an argument, just an opinion x

I do agree that I'd never take 600 grit near the headlights, but if used wet and with care it could be taken down the grades and polished back up fine, as the guide shows. Don't follow the steps and it's going to go wrong, simple as that.

In my opinion, 600 could have caused irreparable damage to the headlights and should not have been suggested in the first place. I don't think any guide should have this risk involved, especially one for such a simple task. If this was soldering in blue LEDs to the dash displays, then I agree, "At owners' risk". But not for something that I/any detailer can fix for £25 max and half/one hours work without running the risk of major scratches.

But then again, I guess everything that you read on forums on "How to DIY..." is at owners' risk, so I accept that and what you've put JCC fella.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
In my defense, when I used 600, it was VERY wet and probably a bit less harsh because of it.

With 800 on mine, and a SERIOUS going over, it still wouldn't totally shift. <3

In my defense, when I used 600, it was VERY wet and probably a bit less harsh because of it.

With 800 on mine, and a SERIOUS going over, it still wouldn't totally shift. <3

Christ they must get bad lad, maybe because they are a few years older so have been open to the elements for longer?

soon to be 182 ;)
i did mine, used 1200 grit then 2000 grit, came up ok need to go over with 800 then 1200 then 2000 agaiin, its a ph1 so been about 10 years in the elements, then i used megs scratch x 2.0

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Christ they must get bad lad, maybe because they are a few years older so have been open to the elements for longer?

Put it this way, I thought my bulbs were s**t, turns out my lights were just nearly opaque.

Steve@Rsport gave them a quick machine after all my sanding and I was away. Was actually like going out and buying xenons! LOL

Put it this way, I thought my bulbs were s**t, turns out my lights were just nearly opaque.

Steve@Rsport gave them a quick machine after all my sanding and I was away. Was actually like going out and buying xenons! LOL

Good news :)