ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help and advice 182 with itbs or 197

This had been doing my head in over the last few weeks I'm so unsure what to do , I have a very clean racing blue 182 with 49k on it

Would you fit some itbs ecu and cams or buy a mint 197 in LY recaros etc with only 22k on it

I love my 182 but really like the 197 only thing is 197s looks crazy on fuel and the gear boxs are very poor

Would be great to get the advice on some one who had owned both a 182 and 197

Thanks for any help lads

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Head says keep the 182... be more original and it's a wicked colour.

Heart says 197 because they look fantastic in LY and it's a new car for you!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Difficult, 197 is a better car to be inside, and the Recaro's are quality, along with it being in one of the two best colours (in my opinion) LY and White.

As for the gearbox, they improved on later models as far as I'm aware, like past 08.

182 with itbs is gonna be a hella lot more fun though, plus you'll own a proper quick 182 and get all the props that come with it, or you'll own another 197, so to speak.

BG 182 FF
Or, sell the clio and use the 4K cams and ITBs to buy a new car with. That'd give you 8k, probably give you something faster than a 182 on ITBs and Cams...

Looking at doing the same myself (itbs) but you can get some interesting machinery at that money (boxsters etc)

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, but then you've gotta run the sort of performance car 8 grand can get you, whereas comparatively a Clio is still gonna be cheap to run/repair. Why not have a fast Clio that's cheap to run, rather than having a Scooby/Evo/M3/Boxster S that will cost you a lot should anything go wrong and cost more to run.

Audi A5
A 182 with cams and itb's will probably be just as bad as a 197 on fuel.

Only you can decide tbh.

Have you considered a R26?

nar 1*2's on cams & bodies aren't that bad as long as they've got a decent map, 197's on the other hand are absolute garbage on fuel

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member

Only you can decide tbh.

But at least then the 182 would have good reason to return poorer MPG, because it really goes, whereas the 197 returns poor MPG without any extra go.

Only you can decide tbh.

Thanks for the replys lads , I had a ph1 225 before the Clio loved it but I had my fill of it , I know for 8k I could have a very fast motor but as said it comes down to running costs , but when I look at the 197mpg it makes me think just buy a e46 m3 lol I won't be doing that tho

It's a hard one to call , thinking a 182 on itbs might be hard to selling the time ever came tho