ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

:: help ::172 mk2 idling problems

2001/51 SPORT 172(LEEDS)
my cars runs crap on tick over like its missing you can feel it through the car and also sometimes puts on the emissions light for a short while

the car run sweet enough other than this tickover problem i gave it a service last week to try to stop it but no luck
(plus does any body know were the fuel filter is on a mk2 172 because i couldnt find it near the tank or anywhere.

one thing i have noticed though is when cold and driven steadily i can feel the car surging so i dont know if this is owt to do with the tickover problem

any ideas would help me

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yep do a search they're all rough from cold to keep emissions down. Optimax does help mine, try it for a few weeks & sit for a minute before driving off. Undo the pipe from your airbox to throttle body & clean around the butterfly as they get caked in carbon. As said get the cat checked or ditched for a de-cat pipe.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fuel filters in the tank . Its supposed be good for 145,000 miles according to Renault , yeah right ;)

2001/51 SPORT 172(LEEDS)
MRBILLYUK said:
Fuel filters in the tank . Its supposed be good for 145,000 miles according to Renault , yeah right ;)

hmm in the tank explains why i couldnt find it along the fuel line

as for air intake cleaned all that out when i had the inlet chamber off to change plugs and it was pretty clean.

i can understand i been a bit rough on idling but this is excessively rough to the point i have to rev it because i think its going to cutout although it reads a steady 700 rmp on the rev clock

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
what fuel are you using? mine runs rough on cheap crap. i now use tesco 99 ron and it idles nice and smooth..