ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heel Toeing in a 182?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Williams_0001stromba.jpg

Again i give you thee man in question...

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
They were "developed" for the 182, and then were available as a mainstream replacment tyre in 2004.
They weren't fella, this was renault marketing. They also printed that the cup spec cars would have a different exalto. They didn't. It was the tyre that was used during the chassis signing off, there's very few sub 50k cars that have tyres designed for them. It would be silly, as then the tyre would only be optimum on that car, limiting the tyre's sales potential. Far better to have the chassis based on a tyre, therby expanding the tyres customer base.

Brad, are you a delivery driver? UPS?

White clique
They weren't fella, this was renault marketing. They also printed that the cup spec cars would have a different exalto. They didn't. It was the tyre that was used during the chassis signing off, there's very few sub 50k cars that have tyres designed for them. It would be silly, as then the tyre would only be optimum on that car, limiting the tyre's sales potential. Far better to have the chassis based on a tyre, therby expanding the tyres customer base.

Brad, are you a delivery driver? UPS?

he cant answer hes been banned, and his name isnt brad!

Clio 182 with Cup packs
Guys, don't go stomping on your brakes, particularly at 45mph in the wet. You'll lock the wheels up ! It's scientifically proven.

Shock, weight transfer blah blah blah. But that's another thread.

Now that prat has gone, back to heel and toeing a 182. I'm still interested as to why some of us think a 182 is really easy to do it in, and others feel it so hard that they have to modify the car.

We must be doing something differently (seating position, how we place our feet in the footwell?). There might be some difference between each car with regards to amount of travel in the brake pedal. But the spacing is always going to be the same.

I'm away at the moment, but when I get back to the UK I'll post some pictures of what works for me.

tiTTy & SV650
Met Jilly and Stromba at a CS meet once up North when they were on holiday, he was chasing me on a B road at upto 90 and there was nowt in it (I had my 182 and he had his Williams) sadly the battery in their camera died as I was tripoding lots lol

I agree it probably was a bit of marketing, it probably was that they used the tyre to hone the chassis to like you said.

But the Honda S2000 and VX220 are two I can think of straight away that aren't mega money cars that have tyres with specific tyre designations for them. In fact the latter had a very specific front tyre size made that would never be of any use to any car but a VX.

Renault Clio S
Again i give you thee man in question...

LOL, cracks me up when people like this are exposed for the world to laugh at. Has he really been banned? Couldn't we just have him stuffed and hung on the wall instead?

williams and trophy
Renault dont make the tyres so they cant make the braking performance better.

Heres a simple test. Find a non-abs car. Go out on a soaking wet road, drive at 45 miles per hour, then stamp on the brakes as hard as you can. What will happen? The tyres will lock and you will skid to a hault. I think this proves that in the wet, the limiting factor in stopping is the tyre.

So if its easy to see the tyre is the limiting factor in the wet, why so hard to see it in the dry? Do the same 45 miles per hour and stamp on the pedal as hard as you can. What happens? You skid.

The fact is the best way to reduce the braking distance is to fit a slick racing tyre. More grip = less braking distance. Why? Because the tyre is the limiting factor in braking. Not the caliper. Not the pads. Not the discs. The tyre.

So renault might have fitted larger discs to a 182. They might have added abs (which personally i think is s**t). They might have increased the servo. But when the limiting factor in stopping is how much grip you have, this is all irrelevant.

hmmm. slick racing tyre in wet conditions.....of course.......now why dont most ppl think of that before upgrading their brakes??

oh....i know.......cos they arent clueless keyboard warriors like youself.

Clio 172 RS2
Braking? I thought it was all about heel AND toeing...

Proper race car technique... in a car, the Clio RS without a 'race' flywheel, like the revs will drop instantly like in a race car! -NOT-

But hey keep jiggling those feet and twisting your ankles.

13 pages and still going! :sleepy:

Yozza'd BG
Yussssssssss!:D

After a 1000mile road trip around Scotland i can finally heal-toe using the edge of my foot. It makes driving quickly so much smoother and rewarding...AYE!

Yozza'd BG
Indeed. Still blip the throttle too much on occasions and end up with that horrendous jump forward you get when re-engaging the clutch but practice will make perfect!

Clio 172 Cup
I've mastered it in my works van, but can't quite get it right in the cup, my brake pedal doesn't travel enough to give me enough on the other pedal. My lasses Mini on the other hand is death when I tried it, with that stupid floor accelerator pedal.

Yozza'd BG
I've mastered it in my works van, but can't quite get it right in the cup, my brake pedal doesn't travel enough to give me enough on the other pedal. My lasses Mini on the other hand is death when I tried it, with that stupid floor accelerator pedal.

That was my problem initially...accelerator too deep to reach when braking. BUT...try angling your foot a little toward the outside edge with approximately one-quarter of your right foot still on the brake pedal and then twist your ankle toward the offside front wheel when you want to blip.

I may just write a book about this one day and call it "Heel-Toeing...FTW!";)

Clio 172 Cup
I think with practice i'd finally get it, just finding some nice clear road to get me skills 100%.

Managed to do it a few times but didn't feel confident on the braking side of things, the pedals on the works van are perfect, don't even realise your doing it in that thing.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Definitely!

Try it in a 360. Harder.

I find it really hard in any BMW, too. Bloody floor-hinged pedal.

16v_paddy

ClioSport Club Member
  Valvers & 172 Cup
The 182's one of the easiest cars to do it in. :S

I struggled to do it smoothly in the trophy I had a go in, maybe with a bit more practice I could improve but I seriously doubt I'd be able to do it as well as I can in the valver

ETA: I find it almost impossible to do in in beemers as well lol

Yozza'd BG
Definitely!

Try it in a 360. Harder.

I find it really hard in any BMW, too. Bloody floor-hinged pedal.

Ye, agree about the b*****d floor hinged pedals in Beemers coupled with uber sensitive brake pedals...don't think it could get anymore difficult! Anytime i try it in my dads 3 series it's a complete f**k up!