ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

heavy power steering - new pump

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
Hi All,

my power steering is quite heavy. I recently replaced the pump as my last track day revealed something up with it. it was spitting out power steering fluid , i think from overheating. the power steering was quite heavy back then also. I bought a refurbished power steering pump, fitted it, filled up reservoir with fluid and turned on the car, the steering was really light, as i would expect turning the car to full lock either way. come to the car the next day, having not driven any miles yet, turned on the car pulled the steering wheel to full lock and it was heavy. the car judders if you hold it in full lock too, rpms dropping.

I've looked up how power steering systems work, it was some old info to be fair, and I'm beginning to believe it's not actually the pump but instead the mechanism that controls the flow of power steering, whatever that is in a Clio 172, steering rack? steering column. one of the reasons i think this is the case is due to how twitchy the steering wheel is over bumps in the road which is what the power steering should prevent.

any thoughts from someone who knows how it all actually works?
is the new pump just gone?