ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

heater controls - change of color

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Ok so since I converted all my dash pretty much to blue there is one thing I have left to finish, that would be the heater controls.

Ive removed the orange strip from it already and I bought these smds to go in: http://www.crazyleds.co.uk/Blue-286-T5-3xPLCC-2-wedge-base-push-fit-led.html

Thing is, these smds are just not bright enough. I tried buying the regular blue fruit machine wedge bulbs as well and they are also rubbish. Just not bright enough.

Can anyone recommend a particular bulb/led that will work and be about as bright as it is with the standard wedge bulbs, but blue??

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I bought the ones you listed above and i think they are more than enough.
Mines are spot on

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
I bought the ones you listed above and i think they are more than enough.
Mines are spot on

would you be so kinda as to take a photo?

possibly it was my previous heater control at fault, as it happens one of the bulb slots stopped working after i kept replacing the bulbs to get good brightness lol.
but when they were both in and working fine before it broke, it just wasn't that bright which is why ironically it ended up breaking.

but perhaps the new heater control i bought will solve that i dunno, its in the car right now just with the regular bulbs, but i never tried it with the smds, doh!

After trying the above I approached it differently. I wired in a SMD strip, it came out ok.

y6u4uryj.jpg

my5eqevy.jpg

ragume5u.jpg

There is an orange filter inside the unit which also needs removing.

Yup as above DON'T turn the speed dial. Unless you have a keen eye for finding a minute ball bearingand spring. It's happened to me so it's easily done/fixed :).

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Yup as above DON'T turn the speed dial. Unless you have a keen eye for finding a minute ball bearingand spring. It's happened to me so it's easily done/fixed :).

yer.... i tried putting my one back together after it fell out, got it all back together and well, it just was not the same after.

i don't suppose you have a link for where to get them smd strips at all.

i had already figured pins 1 and 3 do the light circuit too :p multimeter for the win lol

Once I put mine back together it was a bit limp, so I stretched the spring to give a better feedback.

Plenty of them on eBay I got a few meters as I used it for a glove box light and for my fish tank :p Can get you a light to the same stuff.

Multimeter is well and truly needed with french electronics.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
Once I put mine back together it was a bit limp, so I stretched the spring to give a better feedback.

Plenty of them on eBay I got a few meters as I used it for a glove box light and for my fish tank :p Can get you a light to the same stuff.

Multimeter is well and truly needed with french electronics.

s**t ill end up smd'ing the whole house lmao. managed to find a 50 meter strip, what the f*** lmao.

I think I got 5 meters of the stuff for around £15 I think. Used it to make a vanity mirror for the OH too. It's awesome for the money and doesn't look tacky. In fact looks OEM in the Clio for the glovebox light.

Renault Clio DCi 65
After trying the above I approached it differently. I wired in a SMD strip, it came out ok.

y6u4uryj.jpg

my5eqevy.jpg

ragume5u.jpg

There is an orange filter inside the unit which also needs removing.

How did you go about wiring in the led strip in place? I'm struggling for a decent amount of white light to come through the panel.

How did you go about wiring in the led strip in place? I'm struggling for a decent amount of white light to come through the panel.

How do you mean pal? What more information you want, the first pic shows the pins I used for the LED strip.

Once you remove the heater panel from the car you'll need to remove the orange filter this may stop the white light coming through. But then be careful not to change or move any of the dials especially the fan speed, as they are held in place by a ball bearing and spring - this gives the dials the clicky feel.

Renault Clio DCi 65
How do you mean pal? What more information you want, the first pic shows the pins I used for the LED strip.

Once you remove the heater panel from the car you'll need to remove the orange filter this may stop the white light coming through. But then be careful not to change or move any of the dials especially the fan speed, as they are held in place by a ball bearing and spring - this gives the dials the clicky feel.
Forgot about it this. Just want to confirm is it the 2nd and 4th you have soldered the led strip too? I may add 2 to get more of a light white through.

Last edited: