ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heat Shield Above Exhaust

TrackCar & F30 330d
How important is the heat shield above the rear part of the exhaust. Mine rattles so much and its so annoying.
So can i take it off without haveing any problems with the exhaust heating the surroundng stuff when its gone.

Is heat wrap tape any good / worth doing as i know people only really do the Mani.

:)

RS CLIO 197
just use a double depth 10mm socket and take off the nuts and put bigger washers on to hold the shield inposition - then put the nuts back on

oh and spray a bit of wd40 on before taking the nuts off

S4 Avant
Mines now stuck to the floor of the car with araldite. No more rattles :approve:

The nuts and bolts that hold it up had corroded that badly, I didn't even attempt to remove them.

Do you mean the one above the rear backbox ?

Or slightly further forward as it goes over rear beam ?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
just before the axle mine has been removed, wel it was a accident were the pipe came off and ripped the heat shield off, it hasnt made any difference tbh,

S4 Avant
Do you mean the one above the rear backbox ?

Or slightly further forward as it goes over rear beam ?

well mines a 182, so slightly different layout.

The shield that covers the whole of the back of the car, is stuck up with super glue basically. Does the job brilliantly, and I can't see any reason why it should ever need to come off again.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Arrrr good idea Dave88. I think i may give that a go. The heatshield even rattles when i close my door. grrr lol

172 cup & 182
just before the axle mine has been removed, wel it was a accident were the pipe came off and ripped the heat shield off, it hasnt made any difference tbh,

Do you mean the heat shield that goes between the Hot Exhaust and the plastic fuel tank Just before the back Axel ?

ValverInBits
are you sure that it's the heatsheild? 172s are renowned for a rattly mid-section silencer (like mine did). It's the baffles inside the silencer coming loose iirc.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
i have the noise of death when i hit 4k revs, its like a super quick repetitive rattle which is driving me insane, sounds more like the front of the car though, would it be the heat shild above the mani?

M

mini-valver

i have the noise of death when i hit 4k revs, its like a super quick repetitive rattle which is driving me insane, sounds more like the front of the car though, would it be the heat shild above the mani?

I'd look at the CAT to manifold joint. Its really common, new kits aren't mega money from Renault but its not massive fun to change.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
^ +1

Renault want 40 quid for the kit, but i got mine done a prospeed for 9 pounds

£9 sounds tasty, might nip it up the garrage i used to work at and wack it on th ramps. on a gravel drive with axel stands can be a pain in the arse when working on that kind of s**t. but nice one anyway.

A Flamin' Red one
I bought a K-Tec Stealth from eBay. Fitted it, things started to rattle, figured it was the extra 'boom' and size of the exhaust over the OEM item causing the heatshild to rattle. Got it on the ramps, had a knock around with the KwickFit man - centre section baffles were fooked :( .

Needless to say I demanded a refund from the seller for the cost of a replacement centre section!

I'd not remove the heatshild though mate - especially if you're running a stainless steel system like the Stealth (?). That thing gets über hot.

Storm Grey 200
£9 sounds tasty, might nip it up the garrage i used to work at and wack it on th ramps. on a gravel drive with axel stands can be a pain in the arse when working on that kind of s**t. but nice one anyway.

I hate gravel drive.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
I have the same problem on my 182, the nuts holding the heatshield on have fallen off :p

Anyone know what size nuts they are???

Gonna have to source some more, as this rattle is driving me mad.:cool:

Cheers

alien green rs133
I have the same problem on my 182, the nuts holding the heatshield on have fallen off :p

Anyone know what size nuts they are???

Gonna have to source some more, as this rattle is driving me mad.:cool:

Cheers

1.2 clio rear brake shoe spring clip retainers hammer on quite nicely and as they are galv they dont rust ;)

RB 200
Thread from the dead revival!
Got the rattle, has anyone tried one of those heat shield repair kits off the internet? Or should I go the whole hog and get a new one?
Offending hole pictured.
Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240212-162235.png
    Screenshot_20240212-162235.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56