ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlights Come On When I Start The Car

MINI FJCW
Just noticed this as i filled up at the petrol station.

Basically when i start the car, the headlights instantly come on, and the stalk isnt even turned on to the light setting, and i cant even seem to turn them off :S

Just wandering if anyone can out, as its bugging me.

53 Clio's & counting
if you have auto headlights they will come on even when you have the lights in the off position so my guess is that

MINI FJCW
Well if they are, they havent done it before :S. Ive had the car a few months now and it hasnt done this before.

Dynamique Flamer
Try putting the ignition on and turning the light part till it bleeps that is how you turn it on and off :D

MINI FJCW
Lights on all the time FTW,

How come you like having your lights on all the time then mate?

Right, just found out that they're automatic headlights. I must of accidentally activated somehow when i was turning my lights on.

Dont know whether to have them on all the time now, whats peoples suggestions ?

Thanks kerryclio :approve:

Well if they are, they havent done it before :S. Ive had the car a few months now and it hasnt done this before.

Accidentaly turned them on?

On a covered forecourt, even in the day, it may be enough for the sensors to think it's dark enough to neccesitate turning them on.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
How come you like having your lights on all the time then mate?

Right, just found out that they're automatic headlights. I must of accidentally activated somehow when i was turning my lights on.

Dont know whether to have them on all the time now, whats peoples suggestions ?

Thanks kerryclio :approve:

Because it's far safer to have them on.

Think there pushing for all new cars to have lights on all the time.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Mine had been deactivated when I got the car, it went in for some work and they put them back on, I got fuel on the way home and noticed they were on lol spent ages messing about with the stalk wondering what was going on... must have looked a right pillock.

I left them on after that as it seemed a waste not to use the technology seeing as Renault went to the trouble of putting them in :D

MINI FJCW
Mine had been deactivated when I got the car, it went in for some work and they put them back on, I got fuel on the way home and noticed they were on lol spent ages messing about with the stalk wondering what was going on... must have looked a right pillock.

I left them on after that as it seemed a waste not to use the technology seeing as Renault went to the trouble of putting them in :D

Exactly the same as me my friend, was driving home thinking something had gone wrong :lolup:

Think I might use them as you say, it would be a waste of technology. :)

Was a 197
they are really useful too, should have the rain sensitive wipers as they work off the same sensor

Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
my auto wipers arent great tbh. wipe like mad when its barely raining then dont wipe at all when i cant see for sh!t:(

421 Cammed 172
How do you disable/enable them?

Mine stopped working when a Xenon blew and now they never come on by themselves.

However i do have a H7 Full Beam thats buggered!

Golf GTD Mk7
its something like put key to ignition position, then turn the light switch to side light and back a few times till it beeps. correct me if i'm wrong

Clio 182
its something like put key to ignition position, then turn the light switch to side light and back a few times till it beeps. correct me if i'm wrong

No your bang on - It goes SIDE LIGHS ON - OFF - ON -OFF and then it should beep to let you know your auto lights are on or off.

BMW F21 125d
I've never understood why people drive with headlights on all the time, I understand that some new cars have "day lights" but they are small LEDs, not full headlights/Xenons

421 Cammed 172
Mine were actually on, just needed resetting.

So switched off and then back on and they now work.

Never above 25mpg
I've never understood why people drive with headlights on all the time, I understand that some new cars have "day lights" but they are small LEDs, not full headlights/Xenons

Habit. I usually start work when it's dark and sometimes leave work when it's dark. Better to be safe than sorry yo ;)

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo

Because you notice lights in your mirrors in the day before you notice someone without lights.

Safer.

BMW M135i
If they're permanently on not just the auto UCH faults have been known to stick the lights on all the time.

Clio Sport 172
I find the auto lights annoying, every bridge of any size that you drive under makes them come on. The car in front probably thinks your flashing at him/her.
All that turning on and off is what shortens the life of any bulb, and these xenons are expensive.
They are automatically set to auto after the battery has been disconnected, hence the reason they suddenly start working after youv'e had some work done.

421 Cammed 172
I find the auto lights annoying, every bridge of any size that you drive under makes them come on. The car in front probably thinks your flashing at him/her.
All that turning on and off is what shortens the life of any bulb, and these xenons are expensive.
They are automatically set to auto after the battery has been disconnected, hence the reason they suddenly start working after youv'e had some work done.

Switch them off then?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've also read somewhere that they are making it compulsary to have headlights on at all times soon - not a bad idea as most eejits don't put them on at night in this country :banghead: