ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Washer Jets

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The balls on the end falling off? I remember that years ago when I had mine from new, happened twice and then never again.

Monaco 172
haven't had the pleasure of that yet but sure I will .. had to have new pipes last year now I think the pump has gone :down: .. on the plus side that was all it failed on

LY FF182
My car has no xenon washers and passed fine, if they aren't there they can't be tested

They are only tested if present. There are plenty of cars that come from factory with xenons and no washers.
Blank them off and it will pass.
Rubbish. Xenons and HID's have to have them nowadays.
What factory cars have xenons and no washers?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Rubbish. Xenons and HID's have to have them nowadays.
What factory cars have xenons and no washers?
I'm not saying new cars. I am saying that cars come from factory without washers so they are therefore not compulsory for MOT.
Mini for one used to have xenons without washers.

I'm not saying new cars. I am saying that cars come from factory without washers so they are therefore not compulsory for MOT.
Mini for one used to have xenons without washers.
No they didn't? lol
Trust me, xenons with no washers will be fail unless you have a friendly tester.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
No they didn't? lol
Trust me, xenons with no washers will be fail unless you have a friendly tester.
From the latest MOT manual:

"Vehicles equipped with HID or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work."

A) That means that some cars may not have them fitted
B) They must only work if fitted.

So if they are not present then how must they work?

Never heard of anyone failing on this.

EDIT: And washers with HIDs were only compulsory 2010+...

Last edited:
Ok, i'll leave you to it. But your car has xenons, they come fitted as standard, they must work. Oh and my washer covers on the A3 are no different to "cup" covers. I can't just claim they're covers and no washers under there by pulling the fuse. :wink:

Oh and my TT failed on them a year ago and my A3 was tested last week.

Last edited:

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Ok, i'll leave you to it. But your car has xenons, they come fitted as standard, they must work. Oh and my washer covers on the A3 are no different to "cup" covers. I can't just claim they're covers and no washers under there by pulling the fuse. :wink:

Oh and my TT failed on them a year ago and my A3 was tested last week.

If you removed the covers on the Clio there would be nothing behind it - ie not fitted. Most people testers will know that the Audi will have push out covers and that the washer is present behind it so that point is irrelevant.Blanking covers are common on many vehicles and does not necessarily mean anything should be present, especially pre 2010 like the 172/182 is.

I expect your TT failed on it last year because they were present but not working?

Get them smoothed off and painted on the bumper - totally not fitted then not testable.

Im not even sure that projectors are a requirement but i wouldnt advise fitting them in open clusters anyway

My understanding was that if they came from factory with them they had to be present and working (but how would a tester know whether yours had them fitted from factory or not?)

Although I know a lot of people agree that if they are not fitted they can't be tested and can't fail for it etc

FF Clio 182
Yes if you remove the jets and stick tape over the holes. If it is fitted, it has to work. Can't test what isn't there

182 FF RB ;)
Believe it or not I was fined £30 last year at the side of the road on a 'random check' by the traffics for not having washers on my old 172 with xennons :O!

What d'you need to add the washers to a 1*2 retrofitted with xenons? Washer jets, tubing, pump... anything else?

Can you lift the whole kit out of a car with the washers and drop it straight in to a cup model?

FF Clio 182
Not to sound rude but surely that defeats the point of buying a cup ? Might as well just bought a standard 172 if you going to start bolting bits on to it?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Get your point, but not very useful.

Anyone able to answer my question?

Think the washer bottle is slightly bigger to hold more water. Then you'd need pump, washer jets, tubing, wire in electrical plug and I expect a session on CLIP to enable it.

Not an easy swap, so I wouldn't say its worth it!

Many.
Wiring goes through to the UCH, and a couple of relays IIRC.

This topic has come up loads, a search will say, If they are there, they must work, but you can remove, and the car will pass mot, poss advisory. Its not a requirement for MOT, just Vehicle Type Approval.

Get your point, but not very useful.

Anyone able to answer my question?

Essentially you answered your own question...

Jets, tubing, twin pump and then you can plug and go after a session if wiring and clip, as mentioned aswell you may need a washer bigger bottle

Question is though it is well known that Cup models don't come with them fitted as standard and hence don't get tested for MOT.... So are you actually wanting them for practicality sake? Because they are pretty s**t at that aswell tbh

Believe it or not I was fined £30 last year at the side of the road on a 'random check' by the traffics for not having washers on my old 172 with xennons :O!
That's because xenons are supposed to have them by law now as you found. Not that people on here seem to agree.
I asked my mate the other day. Funnily enough had to take his MOT license thingy recently for his new garage and it was mentioned they do have the be checked. Xenons and HID's have to have working washers.
If you get away with it, it's luck of the draw with the tester.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
That's because xenons are supposed to have them by law now as you found. Not that people on here seem to agree.
I asked my mate the other day. Funnily enough had to take his MOT license thingy recently for his new garage and it was mentioned they do have the be checked. Xenons and HID's have to have working washers.
If you get away with it, it's luck of the draw with the tester.

That only came into effect in 2010 - so are you saying they have to be retrofitted (lol) as that would never happen..? An average copper also wouldn't know unless they were present but obviously disconnected - I think there is more to that story.

Yes, if you choose the retrofit xenons? Find me a car with xenons which doesn't have them as standard?
I get what you are saying about "the average copper" but that doesn't make it right.
A MOT tester mate has been told they have to be fitted and working. I don't know what else I can say. It was to stop all the melon's putting super bright HID kits in standard headlights and blinding everyone basically.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yes, if you choose the retrofit xenons? Find me a car with xenons which doesn't have them as standard?
I get what you are saying about "the average copper" but that doesn't make it right.
A MOT tester mate has been told they have to be fitted and working. I don't know what else I can say. It was to stop all the melon's putting super bright HID kits in standard headlights and blinding everyone basically.

Evo 7,8 & 9

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Mine are blanked and removed so be interesting to see if they pass or not if not i put h7 in for 10 mins then switch back. Stupid rules

Thanks for the info Amos91, AlexW, Spinksy & cat171 :up:

Kit needed: Twin pump, washer jets, tubing, wire in electrical plug through UCH, couple of relays & session on CLIP to enable it. Plus larger washer bottle, which I'm guessing is practical but optional.

Motivation was to avoid getting pulled up. Does seem a lot of hassle for a small potential benefit, inclined to agree with Amos91 that the £30 fine story above has more to it & with most posts that the majority of testers will take the view that as washers aren't fitted, then can't test their function. I'll also not need to go on that diet either :grinning:

monaco 172
Guys, has anything changed regarding this argument?

I'm thinking of blanking mine off as they don't seem to work anyway.

Is it still a case of if it's not fitted it can't be tested and there is no law for pre 2010 cars stating that washers must be installed with xenons?