ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head work worth while? 172

E36 M3,172 cup
Hi guys
Just bought a 172 cup, it's due a cambelt due to age in December and aux belt soon.
Now I was looking at upgrades I could do while it's being done , cams, port & polished head etc.
The car at the moment has a ktr induction kit, 2.5" cat back exhaust and a 98ron rs tuner map. It made 169.8bhp recently so hopefully quite healthy.
Is it worth trying to extract power this way or save for a turbo kit?

Thanks

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
I'd of thought it worth it as the ports aren't really matched to gaskets and ports are machined not polished. If your going to change belts there must be camshafts that go well with turbos. It would save some money while the belts are off.

E36 M3,172 cup
Thanks for the replies guys.
I think il just save the money for a turbo kit.
I am not desperate for the power but a little more is always nice.

When I turbo it I think I will just go for the 230 bhp as I have gone to far on my m3 and the thought of a 8k engine replacement has stopped me driving it how I used to

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for the replies guys.
I think il just save the money for a turbo kit.
I am not desperate for the power but a little more is always nice.

When I turbo it I think I will just go for the 230 bhp as I have gone to far on my m3 and the thought of a 8k engine replacement has stopped me driving it how I used to

I've heard Clio turbo is the place to go to for boost.

E36 M3,172 cup
Oh that's definitely one to avoid!
I think I will be doing a lot of it myself as I enjoy dropping engines and major projects

E36 M3,172 cup
Well I have quite a few cars. M3 & aristo & s60 t5 350bhp just this is such a cool little car I'd like to make it lovely

E36 M3,172 cup
Some pictures when I bought it

Attachments

• IMG_2458.JPG
    IMG_2458.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2457.JPG
    IMG_2457.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 76

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The 1*2 engine is rubbish for N/A tuning, it's pretty much had all the easy work done to it in stock form, so improvements from there cost big money.
The main issue is it just can't rev well, the engine is oversquare and just doesn't like high revs, something N/A engines need.