ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Unit question...

A Beautiful R32
Just wondering, is it worth changing the head unit on my 182 and swapping the stock unit for something more fancy?

Does it make much difference in terms of sound quality?

And what about the 'stalk' on the steering wheel can you get that removed or use it with any other head units?

Cheers,

Davey

RenaultSport Clio 182
Good Question! I am also looking at changing my naff head unit I have an Alpine CDA9847r and Ipod Connector KCA420i which I am longing to put into my Jan 05 Reg Inferno 182 Sport (with Cuppy bits) however I have been to a couple of stereo centres today and they have said there is not a lead yet for Clios past 02..(hopefully one available later in the year.. ) that will let you use the volume controls and the Vechile Display Interface they also said that you have to be v.v.careful when plugging anything into the wiring harness as you can bugger up your ecu... (somthing to do with multiplex system???)

Now not being to techincal I thought better of trying it myself.
So if you find out if what I have been told is a load of rubbish I would love to know..

(Anyone else out there that could help out???)

Anyway hope this has helped a little..

Matty:dapprove:

RenaultSport Clio 182
Now dont laugh..... Halfords... :rolleyes:

But also a good Stero Install Shop in Milton Keynes (can't remember the name but can find out...)

Something to do with the iso connector and having to make sure the wiring is 100% correct...

Just to highlight this is jus tif your want to use the volume controls and the mid dash display...

Chocolate Bar™
never heard of it buggering your ecu.

the very latest clios dont have an adapter available yet, however im sure its from 04 onwards, and not 02. if its pre 2004 you can plug your adapters in to enable you to use the MFD and the steering wheel stork for alpine, sony, pioneer me thinks.

RenaultSport Clio 182
OK thanks .. Your Proabably correct on the O4 was just going what I had been told today thanks...
Do you know if anyone has installed head unit on an 05 car using the MFD sucessfully??

Chocolate Bar™
'lee' has installed an alpine into his trophy the steering controls dont work, but not 100% sure whether the MFD would work. as i dont know if they revised the entire wiring loom or just specific parts.

RenaultSport Clio 182
OK thanks for the advise. I may drop an e-mail to Alpine to see if they will be bringing out an Interface kit in the near future.. What do you think?

A Beautiful R32
Yeah cool, let us know what they say... no-one answered the original question though, lol, will a new head unit actually make a worthwhile difference?

Monaro VXR
theres a new adaptor out now to allow the display and stalk controls on 05 clios and meganes. no longer a problem.

And the difference in sound quality with a new head unit will be instantly noticeable without messing with anything. due to the extra power bass will be stronger and mids treble will be better without distorting as quickly.

My new headunit allowed my standard speakers to go a lot louder and still remain clearer than the stock headunit ever could make them with better bass etc at the same time.

Since got rid of the standards and replaced everything and have everything amped up.

Inferno 182
wreelybro said:
Good Question! I am also looking at changing my naff head unit I have an Alpine CDA9847r and Ipod Connector KCA420i which I am longing to put into my Jan 05 Reg Inferno 182 Sport (with Cuppy bits) however I have been to a couple of stereo centres today and they have said there is not a lead yet for Clios past 02..(hopefully one available later in the year.. ) that will let you use the volume controls and the Vechile Display Interface they also said that you have to be v.v.careful when plugging anything into the wiring harness as you can bugger up your ecu... (somthing to do with multiplex system???)

Now not being to techincal I thought better of trying it myself.
So if you find out if what I have been told is a load of rubbish I would love to know..

(Anyone else out there that could help out???)

Anyway hope this has helped a little..

Matty:dapprove:

yesterday i went to car electronics in leicester asking for a system which i could connect my ipod to and use my stalk and spookily enough they recommended the same alpine head unit with the 420i adapter and told me a stalk adapter was available for £60,give paul a call there on 0116 2449855 as he really does know what he's talking about hope this helps
Daz

Inferno 182
sorry forgot to say also i think he said the interface would still work but would be very limited

black gold 182
(QUOTE)theres a new adaptor out now to allow the display and stalk controls on 05 clios and meganes. no longer a problem.

where do you get this then

Last edited:
  Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Black Gold 182 said:
(QUOTE)theres a new adaptor out now to allow the display and stalk controls on 05 clios and meganes. no longer a problem.

where do you get this then

PM conner
he works for any ICE company in Reading and posted about this.

RenaultSport Clio 182
Yeah cool, let us know what they say...

OK I've dropped an e-mail to Apline tech support and also one to Incartec asking about leads - so will have to wait and see if I ever get a reply - If I do I will let you know..

RenaultSport Clio 182
Hi, so far we only cover up to 12/04
Hopefully the new rage should be with us by August,,

The above is the reply I got from Alpine Tech Support so hope is not all lost just a half year wait away!! :)

Monaro VXR
When i asked them about an adaptor for my new car i got its still in development no idea when it'll be ready.

Same with everything i asked about no coilovers no nothing available yet. Id just have to basically get stuff prototyped on my car. I know pipercross would give me a free viper if i took my car to them for 3 days. Was considering it but just not got the time.