ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

having my 172 cambelt done for £80 by a mobile mechanic (also someone i know)

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
been ringing round for a cambelt change on my clio sport and getting stupid quotes :rolleyes:
so decided to ring a mobile mechanic who has done some work for me in the past and he quoted me £80
would be happy to pass his number around if anyone wants it and see if he quotes you happy too :)

Ex-172 owner. Now a Mini!
Erm... I wouldn't let someone near mine that had quoted £80 for a cambelt change!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah obvioulsy doesn't know what he's in for, did you just say it was a clio?

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
I take it that excluding parts. I hope he knows what hes letting himself in for.

i did let him know there a b**ch to work on but he said he's done a few before
i would do it myself but by the time i've paid for the locking kit i may as well let him do it

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Gopher it if he knows what he's doing, but i'd be dubious.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Labour wise, we charge £140 plus VAT, the genuine parts and VAT put a downer on it!! Personally i wouldnt want the job for £80! Top banana if he sorts it though!!

LY 182
just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't use tippex marks

Mines got tippex marks above the cam seal caps :rolleyes: :eek:
yeah i do that though.
blob of tipex on each seal right on the join so you can see if its been out since you did it

prevents any arguments

also... if you were to follow the autodata procedure for timing a f4r it actually tells you to mark the pulleys after having timed it up with the tool to make identification easier after rotating it twice

Lionel Richie
cambelt kit = £150+vat
aux belt kit = £107+vat

BOTH NEED CHANGING INCLUDING THE AUX BELT IDLER AND TENSIONER

if he doesn;t have the special tools to do the job walk away NOW

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Sounds a bit scary to me but as he’s a mobile mechanic his overheads are as low as they are going to get, and so he can quote super cheap

I’d want to know if he was insured properly.

Anyway there is a man around where I live who’s a mobile mechanic and he is always busy. Doing everything, servicing, exhaust, bumpers tyres.

£20 per hour labour is ok for such a low cost business.

Fiesta Zetec
My mechanic (dads mate) charged me £80 to do my cambelt and water pump last week also changed 2 of my oil seals at the same time , parts came to £100 so £180 all in and done good job.:)

My mechanic (dads mate) charged me £80 to do my cambelt and water pump last week also changed 2 of my oil seals at the same time , parts came to £100 so £180 all in and done good job.:)
You have an mk1 rt though. A 172 cambelt change costs a lot lot more, unless the mate doing it is a very very good one.

PH1 172 Sport
A clio sport is only a 1.2 ;)

I had a guy ask me the other day why I had put a 2.0 16v badge on the side of mine because apparently you can't get a clio with that size engine :rolleyes:

He then went on to ask where I had got the body kit from......

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
A clio sport is only a 1.2 ;)

I had a guy ask me the other day why I had put a 2.0 16v badge on the side of mine because apparently you can't get a clio with that size engine :rolleyes:

He then went on to ask where I had got the body kit from......

:lolup: there's always one lol, i'm supprised he's never seen a 2.0 clio before (must be very rare) you have any info on how to do the conversion wouldnt mind doing this to my 172 lol

Black Gold with cup packs
My Uncles charging me £25 an hour, accounts to maybe £150 for labour alone it's a 4-5 hour job! The kit cost me £130 including VAT!

cambelt kit = £150+vat
aux belt kit = £107+vat

BOTH NEED CHANGING INCLUDING THE AUX BELT IDLER AND TENSIONER

if he doesn;t have the special tools to do the job walk away NOW

Yeah Renault inflated part prices!

No need to pay those prices when you can buy exactly the same parts "unbranded" from people like GSF for a LOT less. Same original parts in 99% of cases.

Sure you need the locking tool, but also available from above!

If you own a 172 Cup, due to better access, cambelt and Aux belt can be done in under 3 hours.

Rentech for example charged me £275 all in for 172 Cup using non renault branded boxed items lol