ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have apple now fixed the iPhone 4 antenna issuse already?

S3, HD Nightster
A friend of mine took delivery of his shiny new iPhone4 yesterday (On Vodaphone through Phones 4 U) Almost immediately I had a text saying he was not experiencing any of the antenna problems that we are all aware of and that I have had with my iPhone4 (On Orange, bought direct over the phone as soon as they were in stock, mine was delivered at the start of July) A little bit miffed, I thought he was winding me up and it would turn out to be bulls**t.

However I saw him last night and wanted to test it. So we held iPhones next to each other, bridging the gap between the metal on the bottom left corner. In the same part of the room, held in the same way and my signal dropped off until 'searching' where as his was unaffected. I tried holding his phone and could not get the signal to drop off.

:mad:

Apparently the bloke in phones 4 U had told him that the antenna problem had been fixed by apple and the antenna was now in the top part of the phone only.

How much of the above statement is bulls**t?

And... do we think that apple will be recalling early models?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Theres a problem with your highly scientific test.

And;

Apple have not revised the hardware.

Because the 'resident Apple fanboys' would know.

Your test is stupid for a start. Completely pointless, you may as well have thrown them at the wall.

If your phone is faulty, make a Genius Bar appointment and take it to an Apple Store.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
lol.

The antenna is at the bottom of the phone (and all candybar type phones) because your hand has a higher SAR limit than your head, Apple won't and can't move the antenna.

S3, HD Nightster
Your friend's phone is on Vodafone.

Thanks.
I realise he is in-fact on a different network to myself but thats irrelevant. We both had similar signal strengths, mine would drop with the 'death grip' his wouldn't budge.

Has nobody else seen this?

S3, HD Nightster
So what you're saying is that my phone loses signal strength when held in a certain way because I'm on Orange !?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No they haven't. (Do you really think the first place you'd hear it from is P4U??)

Vodafone generally has better reception than the other networks. You might have sweaty hands and he has leather like dry hands. Could be anything.

S3, HD Nightster
OK. Maybe it wasn't so clear but my point was that his phone was COMPLETELY UNAFFECTED by the 'death grip'

I believe my phone is not faulty and has the same reception problems as all iPhone 4 user's will have heard about.

As he's only just bought it isn't it possible it could be a newer version? Regardless of where it came from. I'm not the only person to notice this, my point is supported in the article below

http://gizmodo.com/5587029/iphone-4-silent-recall-some-readers-confirm

I trust your knowledge on Apple more than I trust Gizmodo.

This isn't a problem with every single iPhone 4. If you press the bottom left of yours and your signal completely goes when it was high to start with, take it back and get it replaced.

The phone hasn't had an update.

S3, HD Nightster
Oooh! A Gizmodo link? Promising proof, you say?
No, I don't.

I trust your knowledge on Apple more than I trust Gizmodo.

This isn't a problem with every single iPhone 4. If you press the bottom left of yours and your signal completely goes when it was high to start with, take it back and get it replaced.

The phone hasn't had an update.

Yes my phone does do that. If the iPhone 4 hasn't had an update how can only some be affected with reception problems? If they're all the same why don't they all have the same problem? So it's basically pot luck whether you get a phone antenna problems?

Sounds like I will be getting a replacement anyway.

S3, HD Nightster
Some products are faulty.

Have you never bought something before and had to have a replacement?

Yeah but it's not just 'some' though is it... I know of personally at least 2 other iPhone 4 users with the same problem and its been all over the news. So admittedly I have just assumed they were all affected.

Apple are very lucky and seem to have such loyal customers that will defend their name what ever happens tbh. Do you not think that they should be updating the hardware to resolve the antenna issues?

Out of interest, what are your views on the delay of the white iPhone 4?

The % is very small. There just happens to be a lot of them, so obviously the actual amount seems higher. When you sell 3million (I think that was the number) in a few days, even if 1% are faulty, that's 30,000 people. The free case was a PR exercise.

My 4 has been fine since day1. If I'd had problems, I'd have swapped it for another. The fact there is still stock problems and big waiting lists everywhere means that the very small percentage and Gizmodo trying to make it big news isn't making any difference at all. Maybe some people aren't buying because of what they've heard, but there's not enough stock for everyone that wants one, so it's not making any difference at the moment.

The white iPhone is a big f**k up. They should have realised this a long time ago. They can't paint glass white. It seems everyone has trouble making white phones but because it's all glass, Apple are having more problems. It will probably appear, when I have no idea, but I'd imagine before Christmas.

Clio 182ff
3GS is quite possibly the best phone u can buy, however the i4 is quite possibly the worst.

The grip issue is a funny one - a mate of mine drops signal when he holds the phone below his waist lol

the i4 has EMC issues (to do with batt to PCB configuration), which I know is not an easy fix and most likely will not be resolved this year.