ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone used Tyre Softner?

RS 250, X5M,K1600Gt
Thinking of getting some tyre softner for some 888's to see how they do as part worn....any one used it or can recommend a particular make?

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You can make your tyres overheat easier by using it. I'd be careful using it on 888's if you plan to use them on track. I've used softened 888's on rallies, and they are pretty good, but wear too quickly for my liking.

RS 250, X5M,K1600Gt
They are two pairs of older 888's that I am thinking of using up. Was going to soften them up to get the last use out of them before ditching.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Go for it I guess, you have nothing to lose. My experience was a little more grip but a lot more wear.

RS 250, X5M,K1600Gt
upload_2016-6-11_10-14-58.png
upload_2016-6-11_10-14-58.png

RS 250, X5M,K1600Gt
we used it on the lotus on some old tyres and it seemed to work ok we think, but had not known anyone else to have used it..

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Yeah you dont tend to find too many people using it, keep me posted with how you find it, if you dont mind? Cheers

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How does this stuff work?

Or rather, how does this stuff give consistent performance?

I'd have thought it'd melt/soften the top half /fraction of a millimetre or so, then once that's worn off you're back to standard compound.

So yeah, can anyon explain?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
it just softens the layer that has gone harder due to previous heat cycles so they are back on the money, or on new tyre just softens them a few points on the durometer but as you say it soon wears off.

Cellulose thinners painted onto the tread and cling wrapped for 24 hours works just as well and is far cheaper.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You can also use bleach for the same effect. Depending on the tread pattern it can have more or less effect. A semi slick has less surface area so the compound soaks in less. Tyre softener is a cheeky way to get more grip from the standard road tyres you have to use on autosolos, as it tends to work well with more tread.

RS 250, X5M,K1600Gt
I will put it on one set of 888s and leave the other set as are and see how much difference it makes....just need a track day to try them.......thanks for the info guys