ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone ever got good result from the standard cd player?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Has anyone amped their standard headunit and upgraded the speakers? if so what did you use and did it make a difference?

I really would rather keep the standard unit than put my pioneer in - after all the source is only 1/3rd of the equation and usually the least important (well coming from a home hi-fi fan).

A good solid amp fed from the headunit with a good set of components would work like a charm don't you think?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Because the source is super poor which is a big thing. Plus its a royal pain to do.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
fair enough then!

I HATE not having a uniformed dash though - its a pet hate of mine - I can live wih aftermaket stereos but it would have to have an orange display all round and not be overly flashy with it!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I feel the same, my alpine (bit old now) fits the bill.

Full orange display, Blackout screen and it uses the oem display/controls.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Age is irrelevant - a £1500 20 year old amplifier still sounds like a £1500 amplifier regardless of its age - in my books at least!

Granted you could go out and buy something thats as good for less new but why would you want to do that if you can buy the old one second hand for £300?

Crumbs I'm going to bed I've starting ranting ;)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Oh have you got any pics/model number of your setup please?

vaux cavalier
I really would rather keep the standard unit than put my pioneer in - after all the source is only 1/3rd of the equation and usually the least important (well coming from a home hi-fi fan).

The source, (media type), is the most important part of any audio/video system.....An amplifier simply amplifies the signal it receives, the speakers simply reproduce sound in accordance to the amplified signal.....

I have used various types of high to low level converters with varying results, if your chasing audio quality then I would avoid using the majority of them, but if your happy listening to MP3s or simply using one for sub output then I can't see an issue for you.....

If your chasing quality then check out the JL Audio 'cleensweep' .....

In most cases its easier to use external amplification for all channels, as this allows the crossovers to be used to limit low end frequencies from upfront.....

Evora, C-HR & A180
ive got a sub with a built in amp on my clio with the standard cabasse unit, it sounds ok:)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Your audio is only as good as your worst component, be it amp, cd player or crap cables.

I thought the standard HU was crap. As soon as I fitted my Sony HU, there was a huge increase in quality. I'm not stating that my HU is absolutely amazing etc etc but compared to the standard HU, it was a big change.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
DebV6 had a great CD player which suited the dash really well... forgot the name of it though!
Looks so standard that you can leave it in the car without the fear of it being stolen :)

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Becker do some good headuntis which look pretty plain.

In my old car i had a sony xplod headunit and it looked ok had good features but the quality of the signal it was sending to the amp was crap. Can you get clipping from a headunit signal?
When i fitted this it was a massive difference compared to the renault one.

I new have an alpine 9880 headunit and it sounds so much better.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Yeh I was looking at the Becker Grand Prix - had a quick search through Debv6 posts and found thats the one she had - does look like what I'd be looking for but I haven't seen any evidence of being able to use the stalk controls with this one.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I stand corrected looks like you can - Ooooo now I like!