ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone know much about the current state of Hi-Fi separates?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Many years ago I used to be properly into hi-fi kit, pretty much knew the "best" components to get at every price point (or at least what the mags said they were), blah blah blah. My own system was very modest 'cos I was only a kid and had to save up for everything, but I'd now like to get a decent system of around the same level or a bit better.

I'll be honest, I'm lost, I got myself a copy of What Hi-Fi and it's mostly about TVs and surround kit these days, I just want a pair of stereo speakers and a decent amp which can hopefully handle bluetooth/network streaming and has enough inputs if I decide to add a turntable or a CD player later.

I used to have a set of decent budget components, JPW Minim speakers on proper stands, NAD 3020i amplifier, usual "starter hifi" setup.

Anyone know what the equivalent would be these days? I read good things about the Denon micro systems like the Denon DM40 combined with some decent speakers but are they really going to be at the same level as a decent separates amp? It's not going to be in a big room so I don't need huge power levels.

I know I should just get my arse down to a hi-fi place and do some listening but just like cars I want to have a shortlist first before starting the actual shopping. Any suggestions?

Steinway Lyngdorf have a 2-channel amp that is said to be very high quality. I've heard a few of their six-figure systems - they are quite nice... lol

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
After just purchasing a set of decks I've had to buy an amp. I already have a Denon CD recorder so I've added a second hand matching Denon amp. Luckily I kept my Jamo speakers in storage.

The amount of second hand old skool amps and other kit on eBay is incredible.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I have been having a look round eBay, but some of the prices on there for the stuff I remember are pretty incredible too ;)

I might get some new speakers and then just get a pick ‘n’ mix of cheaper stuff off the bay, cheap way to find out if I really want to get back into it properly again.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
It's all about the budget, and or if you want new or used

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I'd like to start at the budget end and if I really get the bug I can upgrade, so £300 to £500 tops for amp, speakers and some sort of streaming module. Not fussed about new or used.

I'll check out AVForums, thanks.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What HiFi is probably the worst place to go for reviews, it's just advertising by other means.
This is a place that would review and rate HDMI cables :unamused:

The dirty secret with most hifi stuff is nothing much has changed in quite a few years, a decent amp from ten years ago will still be a decent amp today, the basics of how to build quality equipment is still pretty much the same.

AV receivers are slightly different as they need to constantly include the latest tech, Dolby atmos, 4K, HDR etc etc.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I suddenly remembered this thread, I have no idea why.

I ended up with a bunch of used/refurbished hi-fi gear for not a lot of money.
Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Amp and matching Azur 615C CD player, a Yamaha KX-580 tape deck and some Wharfedale bookshelf speakers.

It sounds amazing, the only bit I got a bit wrong was the speakers, they are really good but because they're small they lack bass at lower volumes. I'll change them out at some point.

Tapes and CDs, how retro :D

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I suddenly remembered this thread, I have no idea why.

I ended up with a bunch of used/refurbished hi-fi gear for not a lot of money.
Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Amp and matching Azur 615C CD player, a Yamaha KX-580 tape deck and some Wharfedale bookshelf speakers.

It sounds amazing, the only bit I got a bit wrong was the speakers, they are really good but because they're small they lack bass at lower volumes. I'll change them out at some point.

Tapes and CDs, how retro :D
Or just get a small sub?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Could do, but TBH I'd rather just upgrade the speakers, they're budget starter bookshelf jobs hooked up to some decent mid-range components.

I just got a suitable cable to dump my Logitech 5.1 system I had hooked up to the PC for donkeys years and run it through the separates system instead. The Logitech was still pretty decent, but this is just in a different league - unsurprisingly. Works for me.

:D

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
There's plenty of stuff in the Black Friday sale, or plenty of stuff on eBay (probs a rash of stuff on eBay after Black Friday as people but new stuff and sell off the old)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Reminds me I have my dad’s old Rogers speakers and Kenwood amp in the garage, might have to dig them out and see what they are like (and if they still work)