ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Harry's Lap Timer and OBD Bluetooth Reader

Track 172 Cup
I'm looking for something setup wise to record video and overlay the cars data (seen some video's with it on like revs, speed etc) and fancied trying it myself whats the best type of setup too use. Doesn't have to be Harry's I've just heard that one mentioned before. What do you guys use? I'm also using an Andriod phone but currently have a Go-Pro for track filming.

Cheers

Clio 172 (CUP)
I'm looking for something setup wise to record video and overlay the cars data (seen some video's with it on like revs, speed etc) and fancied trying it myself whats the best type of setup too use. Doesn't have to be Harry's I've just heard that one mentioned before. What do you guys use? I'm also using an Andriod phone but currently have a Go-Pro for track filming.

Cheers
It's a good app, I use it and it's probably a lot cheaper than the pro gear. You do need to invest into both a high accuracy and quicker GPS Bluetooth unit, as well as a faster ODBII bluetooth device to get the best out of the app. Something I've yet to do. The author recommends those on his web page, there is also a forum for it too. He pretty active too with regular updates.

If your GoPro is wireless, I believe it supports it too to trigger the recording or something, whilst using your phone camera as a secondary camera.

Track 172 Cup
Thanks @eon172 I'll have too look on his website when I'm at my computer and can have a proper look round on it. My Go pro is wireless (Hero 4 Black edition) so will hopefully work well with it.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi ,
I take no credit for this and cant remember who off here it was that put me on to it but - RaceChrono app for android.
overlays odb stuff like revs , speed etc and you can then overlay it on to Go pro too and have it syncing etc.
awesome stuff.
download it and try it out using the phones onboard camera first then read up on go pro addition.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I use a GoPro HD2, GoPro Hero, and 2x G1W-H to record video, a Zoom H1 to record audio, Serif MoviePlus 6 to overlay and synchronise all of the video and audio streams, an old beat up SIM-less Nexus 5 to log data and GPS position, Excel to manipulate and correct/smooth that data, and with a video file ouput from MoviePlus 6 and the aforementioned data I then use RaceRender3 to finally overlay data/guages onto the video.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I use a GoPro HD2, GoPro Hero, and 2x G1W-H to record video, a Zoom H1 to record audio, Serif MoviePlus 6 to overlay and synchronise all of the video and audio streams, an old beat up SIM-less Nexus 5 to log data and GPS position, Excel to manipulate and correct/smooth that data, and with a video file ouput from MoviePlus 6 and the aforementioned data I then use RaceRender3 to finally overlay data/guages onto the video.

I bit of a learning curve I guess but looks smart and probably straight forward after a few attempts at it. What ODB2 device do you use and app to record the ecu data? Same question for GPS?

Track 172 Cup

Thanks for the Info @MarkCup think I've just started thinking twice lol seems pretty complicated haha

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I bit of a learning curve I guess but looks smart and probably straight forward after a few attempts at it. What ODB2 device do you use and app to record the ecu data? Same question for GPS?

A cheap £5 Bluetooth OBD from eBay is what I use which I then log from using Torque Pro. GPS? Nexus 5 does that. There's better out there but for me it's enough.

Thanks for the Info @MarkCup think I've just started thinking twice lol seems pretty complicated haha

As above, yes it looks complicated but out doesn't have to be.

What I do in the video above is taking it to extremes. You can do with one camera, without MoviePlus and just take one video file into RaceRender along with one raw data file then just play about with the gauges.

I've been using RR for a few years now but it's not complicated at all. Try the free version first, what have you got to lose?!

Track 172 Cup
True always worth a try, think I'll give it a try the next day out at Oulton (might palm it off on my dad first, I'll just say 'bet you can't figure this out' lol he'll go all Alpha male and wont stop until it's done (reverse psychology for the win haha)

Clio 172 (CUP)
You've obviously found a cheap ODB2 dongle that works, the ones I've bought keep dropping connection, I've given up, will probably buy one of the recommended ones for HLT now. The speed of the rev counter updates are much better that what I've experienced. Nice job!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
You've obviously found a cheap ODB2 dongle that works, the ones I've bought keep dropping connection, I've given up, will probably buy one of the recommended ones for HLT now. The speed of the rev counter updates are much better that what I've experienced. Nice job!
If you want a decent one, that one I linked earlier is what you want.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Recommend this for GPS.

Works perfectly with Harry's laptimer (I'm sure there are alternatives too) and the speed/position updates are super smooth as it updates 10 times per second instead of once like most phones.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Recommend this for GPS.

Works perfectly with Harry's laptimer (I'm sure there are alternatives too) and the speed/position updates are super smooth as it updates 10 times per second instead of once like most phones.
Missing a link?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Missing a link?
Yes my bad, it was the one James linked. That's a good price for it too! I think it was £130 on Amazon last time I looked. I bought one for my Brands hatch trackday this year and sent it back after (i.e. borrowed it).

It was very very good, if I was going to do more trackdays then I would buy one to keep for sure.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yes my bad, it was the one James linked. That's a good price for it too! I think it was £130 on Amazon last time I looked. I bought one for my Brands hatch trackday this year and sent it back after (i.e. borrowed it).

It was very very good, if I was going to do more trackdays then I would buy one to keep for sure.

Yeah it's the cheapest i've seen it too. I got my RAM Mount from them as well.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Good price, but would need to consider Harry's view on it if using it with his HLT app....

"Qstarz has a long history in producing GPS accessories. The Qstarz BT-Q818 XT is the one used most often by track visitors. Its main advantage is a good price / value ratio. The Q818 XT delivers GPS at 10 Hz like other devices listed above. You may want to throttle it to 5 Hz nevertheless. At 10 Hz, the device is not able to use differential information improving accuracy. The Qstarz BT-Q818 XT uses GPS only."

172 Ph1
I own a Ph1 172 and have always been curious as to what protocol it actually is .
OBD or OBD2 . Would love to know as I want to buy a compatible Elm327 dongle to transfer my Revs and other info to my Harry's lap timer app.

Oh forgot to say the app is on IOS

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Problem with a lot of the ELM327s is they are just too slow for Harry's to work properly and it can be trial and error finding one that actually works.

I'd be looking at the OBDLink ones myself as you know they'll work, although they're not cheap.