ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard drive died / deleted

White clique
I got given a new work laptop less than 2 weeks ago (an IBM X200) which was a right result as i'd been stuck with an IBM T41 which was 6 years old and out of warranty (and fat and heavy).

We have to have safeboot installed on our laptops as we hold government information, and last night my laptop wouldnt boot up and an error message said the windows32 config was corrupt or deleted (something like that).

I took it to helpdesk today and they reckon its from a dodgy batch of hard drives that are in circulation, and i've lost my whole harddrive data unless i send it to Ontrack to recover it, 3 weeks and £1000!

1st issue, i dont want to loose all my photos and itunes so i hope they recover it all, second issue i have no archived emails (over 28,000) to access for 3 weeks, 3rd issue is they had better not find out i've been viewing redtube :quiet:

How good is data recovery, anyone else had to use this service?

White clique
^^ this is EXACTLY what about 5 people said to me today!! I'm so lazy with things like this, but from now on i'll be backing up weekly i think.

I cant believe we have to pay to have the data recovered on a new laptop and hard drive though, thats crazy.

White clique
Any why you should delete your Browser History lol !

LOL, yeah i do delete that along with cookies and temp internet files, but these are only soft deletes and they still remain as images and history hidden away too i think.

I am pretty sure that i also had about 4 photos of my ex with her tits out on the beach from my holiday snaps from a couple of years ago, i'd be pissed if they got their hands on these :rolleyes:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You need to backup your s**t ! Then you need to speak to your i,.t. team and ask them why they don't have a back up policy for client laptops !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
i cant they are on the dodgy hard drive!!! I am not even sure they are on there anymore as i have a feeling i deleted the rude ones or hid them in a flder within a folder within a folder renamed etc.

As an it guy the FIRST thing I do when repairing a client laptop is

Find *.jpg

Good luck withl that lol !

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
data recovery companies generally dont even look at recovered data, i had a drive recovered that contained 900 gigs of blu ray rips/mp3's/apps etc....

I got given a new work laptop less than 2 weeks ago (an IBM X200) which was a right result as i'd been stuck with an IBM T41 which was 6 years old and out of warranty (and fat and heavy).

We have to have safeboot installed on our laptops as we hold government information, and last night my laptop wouldnt boot up and an error message said the windows32 config was corrupt or deleted (something like that).

I took it to helpdesk today and they reckon its from a dodgy batch of hard drives that are in circulation, and i've lost my whole harddrive data unless i send it to Ontrack to recover it, 3 weeks and £1000!

1st issue, i dont want to loose all my photos and itunes so i hope they recover it all, second issue i have no archived emails (over 28,000) to access for 3 weeks, 3rd issue is they had better not find out i've been viewing redtube :quiet:

How good is data recovery, anyone else had to use this service?
If you'd lost the whole drive you wouldn't get errors regarding Windows as it would have reported an operating system missing.

What exactly did it report at startup?

White clique
If you'd lost the whole drive you wouldn't get errors regarding Windows as it would have reported an operating system missing.

What exactly did it report at startup?

I cant remember the exact message but along the lines of..

1) normal IBM logo screen on start up.
2) Safeboot login screen (which replaces my old windows login screen)

..(at this stage usually my desktop screen loads)....

3) black screen with something like windows32/config missing or corrupt and could not be started, press r at IBM screen to fix or diagnose

4) when you press r it just reverts back to the safeboot login and then the same error message.

its now been sent away to Ontrack by my helpdesk, apparantly it had a complete hard drive failure and they couldnt get any data off it themselves (due to the safeboot), and Ontrack have to manually recover the data.

fingers crossed!