ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

handling issues with new tyres...ideas?

R53 Cooper S
Had new tyres fitted at the weekend by my local kwik-s**t (i was desperate! lol), plumped for 4 Goodyear eagle F1's 205/45/16, (no PE2's in stock:( )

I got a good deal on them and i've heard good things about them from peeps on here and they also removed a sheared wheel nut free of charge so all in all, i was pretty happy...however, as soon as i got up to speed the car just didn't feel right at all, steering felt kinda strange, and not very stable at high(ish) speeds.
Seeing as i had just changed from PE2 slicks;), i thought i'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and decided to go for a good blast down some of my favourite b roads in an attempt to "scrub" them. I covered around 200 miles on roads which i am very familiar with and the car just felt horrible, i had no confidence at all in the twisties (even had a few rep mobiles/family wagons up my arse ffs) feels like the rear end is pushing on mid corner:S, perhaps too much grip at the rear???

The first thing i did when i got home was to make sure the monkeys tightened the wheels up properly and found that the sheared nut that they removed and replaced won't tighten at all, just keeps on spinning???

I then checked the tyre pressures, and the muppets had anywhere between 24-28psi:mad:, i put 33 front and 30 rear and thought i had found the problem, but it still feels the same:(

I checked under the car for anything out of the ordinary, leaky dampers etc but everything seems fine.

I'm gonna take it in tom and have them re-balance the wheels and check the tracking, failing that i don't know what i'm gonna do, really pissed off with it at the mo as i love driving it, any ideas people???

Could it be simply the wrong tyre for the car, everything was fine before this???

Sorry for the long thread btw:eek: any help appreciated

Oh also there is a slight knocking coming from the rear passenger side under heavy braking that wasn't there before, what could this be?

cheers Col

^
good point, although tbh I don't think sh*t fit would be sold a batch of the dodgy ones.

I've used F1's in the past (all be it not on a clio) I rate them a lot.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ive heard of quickshit doing dodgey deals with copy/lookalike tyres, would be very annoied if it happen 2 me.

R53 Cooper S
Hmm...interesting reading, i'm sure mine are the new assymetric design tho (made in Germany) not the GSD3, but will check in the mornin for E marks an stuff.

Where do you think i would stand in having the tyres replaced if i'm still not happy with them, perhaps with pirrelli p zero nero's. Would they take them back with them being "used" ? Really can't afford to spend another £400 for another set of tyres right now:dapprove:

If the tyres are the shoddy ones they'll have no choice really but to change them. If they are legit they won't be interested.

are the new asymetrics available in 16" yet? I thought they were only 17" and up.

If they are the asymetrics then they are a good tyre, really highly rated and I wish they did them in 15", prety much the same tread pattern as the PE2's. We have them on our estate and they look good.

give them some more time to scrub up, check they are the proper spec for UK roads,

Last edited by a moderator:
  R53 Cooper S
also are they 205/45/16 and not that it will make much difference but whats the speed rating?

yes 205/45/16 all round, v or w rated i would imagine:S

If the tyres are the shoddy ones they'll have no choice really but to change them. If they are legit they won't be interested.

gutted tbh, hope it's something simple such as the wheels aren't balanced properly or the trackings out, doubt it tho:dapprove:

mini cooper (RIP 172)
i had this with f1's good tyers, great grip but almost felt a bit wobbaly comin ut of corners at speeds!

just seemed to sway a bit, like the side wall was soft!

you do get used to it, but i put pe2's on as soon as i could:eek:

Clio 172 ff
I found the sidewalls on the gsd-3s to be very, very soft, even on the extra load version (the ones marked XL). Fine for street use, but rubbish for the track. Half of my sidewall was basically gone after two 15-minute turns on a twisty track, and the shoulder was pretty much round.

R53 Cooper S
well, took it to a small independent today and had the wheels re-balanced, apparently they were out by quite a bit, i also had the 4 wheel laser allignment done, double checked the tyre pressures, and touch wood, the car feels more or less back to it's old self:D

Hopefully the tyres will come into there on as the miles pile on, certainly felt pretty planted on the drive home, oodles of grip, even in the wet, well chuffed:)